Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

            "Fff," I say.

            "Mmm," she replies. "Mum."

            "No, I'm Ava."

            "Mum." She grins.

            "Lo." I poke my tongue out.

            "Dad!" She screams.

            I look over my shoulder to see Blake walking into the yard still dressed in his wrinkled clothing. He walks down the steps, then grabs London as she leaps into his arms.

            "You look wonderful?" I tease.

            "I slept on my parent's couch last night. Not comfortable in the slightest." He shakes his head.

            Blake takes a seat beside me and softly kisses my cheek. I pat his leg, then tickle London's side. Her laugher seems to instantly lift the gloomy mood surrounding us.

            "How are you?" I ask.

            His green eyes wonder to London's cheeky face, then back to me.

            "How did you find out about Logan?" he questions.

            "I was picture hunting with Logan's journal and I bumped into Tori. It all sort of unravelled then. You're always hurting and I wanted to shoulder this for you."

            "And I love you for it," Blake admits.

            "She also told me about London's name," I whisper.

            "Yes?"

            "Tori named her London because that was Logan's happy place, and soon enough, London became her source of happiness."

"Should I name our next child after you then?" Blake cheekily kisses my forehead and holds me close.

            "Ava Junior, I like it." I smile. "At least we can put this in our past now, right? London is your daughter." Speaking of London, she rolls onto her side and stares up at Blake with a cute smile.

            "It is," he agrees. "I talked with Tori some more last night and she explained at one point, she thought London might have been Logan's child. Whatever happens, I don't care anymore. She's my daughter and I will always love her. The drama with Jude just hurts my head, though."

            Blake picks London up and kisses her forehead. She smiles and then kisses his cheek. I lean my head against his shoulder, then tickle London's side. A large smile spreads onto her face as laughter booms from her chest.

            "You are a rare person indeed, Mr. Rivers." I smile.

            "I remembered we've got plans to plant, right?" Blake loosens his tie and throws it on the grass beside him.

            "Yes! Where are we going to plant the tree, London?" I ask.

            "Here." She points to the middle of the grass.

            "What about somewhere else?" I ask. "Daddy's going to have trouble mowing the lawn if we put it there."

            "Here." London points to her bedroom window.

            "What do you think Dad?"

            "What do you think Mum?" He chuckles.

            I hit his shoulder and climb off the grass to walk towards London's window. Blake and London quickly follow behind and we look at the space outside her window. The small bush would be ideal, but there's no way we can put a tree right beside the house.

            "Is this where you want Logan and Ivan to go?" Blake asks London.

            "Yes." She nods her head.

            "Okay." Blake shrugs his shoulders.

            "You can't put a tree here," I shout.

            "But the boss said." He laughs.

Blake walks towards the shed to grab some planting equipment.

            "She's not even two yet!"

            "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Blake holds up a garden hoses and then puts it on full blast. Before I have a chance to move, the water splashes against me.

            "I take it all back, I hate you, Blake Rivers!" I scream as I run for cover.

            "You love me? Baby, I love you too!"

                "Kiss my butt!"

            "Don't tempt me." He winks.

            I dive into the safety of the house and look out of the back door. Blake hands London a shovel and tells her to walk over to the window. He grabs the plush green plant and follows after London. I watch as the pair of them dig up the soil and plant it together. London holds the hose and over waters the plant before screaming with happiness.

            Once before, I hated windows. I saw them as vessels for watching life passed by. But today? I love these windows because these windows not only show the now, but the future. Today, I can picture many happy memories to follow in our small backyard, the memories that will follow into the house, and the many years to follow.

 Today, I can picture many happy memories to follow in our small backyard, the memories that will follow into the house, and the many years to follow