Chapter Sixteen

I nervously knock against Axel's door as I patiently wait for him to answer

I nervously knock against Axel's door as I patiently wait for him to answer. I hear footsteps and then the door swings open and he pulls me inside. Axel tugs me into a light hug, but I tightly squeeze his body which makes him groan with pain. When I let him go, Axel laughs and then pokes my stomach with his middle finger.

"Hm, I'm not sure if I'm happy you've come, I think you might have broken a rib or three." He chuckles.

"Naw, baby, you're okay." I kiss his cheek and walk down the hallways.

"We're performing new material tonight and I'm scared. Do you think you could squeeze the nerves out of me?" Axel teases.

"Well, I'm sure I could try for you." As I go to wrap my arms around him, Axel throws me over his shoulder and continues walking to the lounge room.

"How do you like that?" he shouts.

"You know what, Axel," I yell. "I'm not going to help you." His bony shoulder digs into my stomach uncomfortably which leaves me feeling slightly annoyed.

Axel booms with laughter while I smack his butt. My palm stings for a moment, but it doesn't faze me much. I slap his other butt cheek which earns me a few grumbles of annoyance. Axel swings me back over his shoulder and I land on the couch with a bang.

The pain in my stomach subsides, but I worry over the chair.

"So we're breaking the couch now too?" I wink.

"The railing in your bathroom fell off the wall," he explains. "I did nothing to it."

"I suppose pigs fly too?" I giggle.

"Shut up and listen to my music," he says.

"Fine, fine, play me your songs." I happily smile.

I reposition myself on the couch so that I'm sitting upright and leaning on the arm rest. He takes the free space beside my feet and gets comfortable.

"It's a song called Second Hand Embarrassment," Axel explains, "and to save myself the embarrassment, I won't sing the lyrics." He grabs the discarded guitar that's leaning against the coffee table and rests it across his knee.

"You know that lyrics are what makes the song, right?" I pout.

"It's actually the tune," he corrects. "When you're trying to remember the lyrics, you're humming the tune of the song."

"What about the lyrics? That's how people connect to the music."

"Lyrics are just lyrics without the music."

"Hm, just play the music then." I roughly poke his shoulder.

Axel strums his fingers over the strings and then quickly falls into a song. He quietly hums to the tune which makes it sound better. At the end of the song, Axel looks at me expectantly. I bite my lip and shrug my shoulders. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say, it sounds good to me.