Part: 1

Leyla let out a sigh as her cell phone continued to ring incessantly. She was rummaging through her modest wardrobe, searching for a dress to wear that day. Reluctantly, she answered the call, finding Ceren and Fatima on a conference call. Ceren and Fatima were her best friends, despite their stark differences. Ceren was a party enthusiast, always adorned in excessive makeup and expensive dresses. Fatima, on the other hand, had a short temper and a preference for spending time in libraries. Leyla cherished their friendship, considering them her only family apart from her mother.

Leyla herself wasn't much of a party girl, always finding excuses to avoid such gatherings. Her closet was filled with comfortable jeans and loose-fitting tops that made her feel at ease, trendy, and secure. She possessed golden brown hair that resembled honey, complementing her sun-kissed skin and captivating green eyes.

Ceren and Fatima came from affluent backgrounds. They had been friends since high school, and Leyla often wondered why they chose to spend time with her instead of the other girls.

Her friends seemed to have perfect lives, each in their own way. Ceren constantly dated different guys, and at the moment, she was with someone who was highly sought after by other girls. Fatima had a fiancé from a reputable family. Meanwhile, Leyla found herself somewhere in between. According to her mother, they had been millionaires once, wealthier than Ceren or Fatima. However, after her father's death when she was ten, they lost everything they owned. In a way, Leyla also lost her mother, as she transformed into a different person, consumed by excessive drinking and neglecting her daughter. Nevertheless, Leyla had learned to accept her situation. She may not be happy, but she could survive.

As Leyla picked up the call, she could hear Ceren scolding her for not answering earlier. When Leyla asked why they called, she already knew the response that awaited her.

"It's the weekend, and what do we do on weekends?"

"Shopping, watching a movie, hanging out together," Leyla replied wearily, contrasting Ceren's enthusiastic voice. "I can't come, you know it's the end of the month, and I need to save money for my studies."

"Hey! Who told you to worry about money and all that? We're asking you to come for yourself, okay? You're coming with us, no more excuses." Fatima chimed in, her sweet tone of voice never quite sounding like yelling.

"I have to complete my assignment, you know, Miss Peterson-"

"I have a date tonight with Berk, so I can't hang out later. We're not asking you to stay for too long. Now, both of you, get ready. I'm coming to pick you two up."

"Wait, wait, wait. Ceren, you were dating Corey. When did you break up with him, and why? And you know Berk, he's not a nice guy, I'm telling you-"

"Honey, who told you I was a nice girl? Berk and I are perfect together." Ceren interrupted Fatima, a smug smirk on her face, while Fatima grew increasingly irritated at being interrupted. Leyla smiled and shook her head.

"Okay, girls. I'm coming. Happy now?"

"That's my girl," Ceren said. They exchanged goodbyes, and Leyla placed her cell phone on the nightstand.

She hurriedly got ready and made her way to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. As she walked, her eyes fell upon her mother sleeping on the sofa. The toll of excessive smoking had left dark circles under her eyes, and her once radiant beauty had faded away. Leyla could even see the bones in her mother's hands, a visible sign of her weight loss. She tiptoed past her, not wanting to disturb her slumber.

After preparing her coffee, Leyla heard the familiar sound of Ceren's Porsche honking outside. She was about to open the door when she noticed her mother stirring behind her. Leyla turned to find her mother awake, her eyes still filled with sleep.