She took in everyone she loved, cared for them, looked after them and brought them close to her heart. Sometimes, Ripper wondered, what sort of God had allowed him the miracle of being in her heart.

Corin was his soulmate.

He curled around her body, a barrier made of flesh and tattoos, and sighed into her thick hair.

My Corin.

And they slept, encased in their own, safe world.

___

Ripper was awake early, well, earlier than Corin who slept peacefully. It was always in her first hours of sleep that she remembered the most, nightmares plaguing her mind.

It tore at him- and Ripper wanted to take everything away, take all those tears and soul deep hurt away. He washed quickly, pulling on his usual work clothes.

Short sleeve black top, dark wash jeans and his patch leather jacket.

"Ripper?"

Corin's voice drew him from his stupor, turning to his woman. She was awake, bright eyes wide and wary as she tried to get orientated as fast as she could. Ripper went over to her, sitting on the bed and making sure she consented to his touch.

When she nodded, he gave her a smile and pulled her toward him, settling her on his lap. His world, in his hands.

"Where are you going?" A note of fear shook her voice, tightening his gut and he shook his head.

"Nowhere Sugar. Just getting ready for tonight"

She sighed, a relieved exhale of breath and leaned her head onto his chest. "Are you going to kill them?"

Ripper wouldn't lie to her.

"Yes."

Silence.

"Make them suffer." Then she slid off his lap, falling onto the floor lightly and quickly going to get washed up. Ripper checked the time, five pm, and stood, grabbing one of his sweaters and a beanie for Corin to wear. It was strange, now, when he went to go and replace his clothes- he thought about Corin wearing them too.

By God he was whipped.

He still remembered those weeks. The ones where she wouldn't let him near. Only let him see faint glimpses of her tired, scared form, only let him protect from afar. Those weeks had nearly killed him. Knowing his fiery Corin was sitting ten metres away, encompassed in her own nightmares and pain.

He fought the sadness and stood, leaving the room before she came out to get changed. Her change, her acceptance to his touch, was slowly improving. He had time.

She finished changing, and stepped out in his jumper, beanie a pair of jeans and some Doc Martens. Her thick hair was braided back, swept behind her back and she gave him a tentative smile. There was something different- a satisfied gleam in her eyes that had him answering her smile.

She stepped forward, leaning into his outstretched arm. "Can we go and get some food?"

Ripper nodded immediately. She hadn't been out of the house in over two weeks.

They took his car, driving to a nearby cafe that balked as the couple stepped out of their car. Ripper stayed close to her, hand entwined tightly around hers. He was here, and he would protect her from the whispers of others.

Ripper flagged down the waitress, ordering for both of them as Corin stared outside, watching the people walk past. There was a distance in her face, one that made her look far away.

"Did you want a coffee?"

She flinched slightly, then thought. "Hot chocolate. Heavy on the chocolate and marshmallows"

Ripper grinned, ordering her hot chocolate. Then, after looking at her cold form, ordered another one, along with her french toast and bacon.

She reached over for his hand, as much of an affectionate gesture as a comfort for herself. "I love you Cearul. Thank you. Thank you for being there for me"

Ripper leaned over to her. "Did you think I would just leave?"

She averted her eyes, tightening her grip. "When I was small my adoptive parents just left me. They were workaholics and didn't have time to look after a little girl who was too curious for her own good." She shrugged a shoulder. "It's strange being looked after. A small, stupid part of me thought I would be better by myself, deal with it alone."

Tears shone in her eyes as she finally looked up at me. "But you didn't let me brood, or shoulder it alone. You stayed with me and was patient- are still patient- with my healing. Thank you Ripper. Thank you."

He kept hold of her hand the whole time, just being there. His Corin would be supported and safe. Anything.

___________

It was only the inner circle at the warehouse that night. Corin stayed bundled on his bike, legs up near her chest as she somehow balanced on Ripper's bike seat. He kissed her on her forehead and shook off his jacket, pulling it around him.

"Don't get cold."

Corin smiled and nodded, watching as he walked into the ring.

Ripper felt his face freeze, felt his whole body wash over with a lethal stiffness, his earlier tucked away anger now spiralling up out of the depths of his stomach.

The warehouse door slammed open, and Ripper watched Deadeye, Hugh and Slater dragging a man out each. They whimpered as they were dragged, fear filling their expressions as they spotted Ripper waiting.

He was like a Reaper in the night, moonlight casting shadows over his large form. And then he moved, body silent and tight with repressed rage one of the men screamed.

The fucker should be afraid. Ripper thought.

And then the men were thrown into the ring, at the mercy of Ripper's fury.

He didn't know their names. Didn't care whether they had a family or not. Didn't give a shit about anything other than beating them into the ground.

And there was whole lot of night time left.