Chapter 27: The Truth Gets Complicated

ابدأ من البداية

“That’s what you’re afraid of?” I asked her. “We’re in the middle of a war and you just want to be remembered?! This is a lot bigger than you! Stop being so selfish and start thinking of somebody else!”

“Do you really think you’re going to win?” She asked. “You don’t even know what they’re planning!”

“I know a lot more than everyone thinks I do. You have no idea what the chosen ones are capable of! I know EVERYONE’S plans!”

“Everyone’s?” she shook her head. “Not possible.”

“Then how do I know that you’re thinking I’m an idiot that’s going to end up dead?”

                        Our eyes got really big when I realized what I said. I didn’t mean to read her mind; it just happened. It’s not even something Pilote and I have practiced. We only practice the time traveling. I can’t afford to slip up anymore. I am so concentrated on proving Nikki wrong that I just went into her head without thinking. I thought it would take more practice and energy than it did.

“How did you know what I was thinking?” she asked at a whisper.

“I…I…” I stuttered, “I just do. The point is –“

“No,” she interrupted, “You can read minds. That’s your soul mate power. That’s the secret.”

“No it’s not,” I lied.

She pointed at me, “Yes it is. That’s it! You’ve been reading everyone’s mind! That’s why you think you’re ahead.”

“We are ahead! You don’t know half of what’s really going on, you only think you do. We didn’t come here for me, we came here for you. What did you want to tell me?”

“I’m not telling you now,” she crossed her arms. “Not until I know what you do.”

“I’m not telling you anything,” I said. “Do you see where you’re at? You’re in prison! You’re never coming out! I don’t even need you to tell me anything. I came down here because I’m a nice person. This war is bigger than you and me. The Tigmas are going to win. I can guarantee it. Have a nice life in here. You’re never going to be remembered this way.”

                        I called to the guard and looked away from Nikki. The guards led me out and I could hear Nikki yelling after me. A sly grin spread across my face and I met my parents out front. I just won over Nikki. I did exactly what I needed to do. Someday soon she’ll be spilling her guts with everything she knows.

“How did it go?” Dad asked.

“Perfect,” I smiled. “I’ll come back in a few days and she’ll spill everything. I guarantee it.”

“That’s great,” Dad smiled back.

“I knew you could do it,” mom added.

“Manipulating her was a lot easier than I thought,” I laughed, “And kinda fun. I did kind of slip once though and now she thinks she knows my soul mate power.”

“What?!”

“Before you say anything, calm down,” I said. “She only thinks I can read minds. She thinks that’s the big secret. She doesn’t know the whole extent of the situation.”

“That’s it?” Dad asked. “That’s all she knows?”

I nodded, “I think it worked though. She thought she had something to use against me. So I told her she’d never be remembered if she wouldn’t tell me what she knows. She was yelling at me as I left.”

“You better go tell the others.”

I smiled, “Yeah and Pilote’s probably waiting for me anyway. I’ll see you guys later.”

                        They waved at me as we parted our ways. My parents walked to the palace and I ran through town and back up the stairs to our house. I ignored all the cameras and people staring and just ran as fast as I could. I walked in and found Pilote in his bedroom.

“Hey,” I smiled.

He was folding his clothes on his bed and I interrupted him by lying in front of him on the bed; covering all the clothes he was trying to fold.

He chuckled, “I was done anyway. How’d it go?”

“It went good just like I said it would.”

“So what do you want to do tonight?”

“Nothing. Can we just watch a movie or something?”

“Sure,” he said. “I just got a big TV and DVD player put in here so we can relax in here for a change.”

I smiled, “That sounds good.”

“I’ll lock the door so no one can interrupt us with war business.”

“Yes please. War tires me.”

                        I got off his clothes and sat near his pillow. He locked the door and put a movie in before sitting next to me on the bed. He put his arm around my waist and I put my head on his shoulder. It feels good to relax again.

“So what are we watching?” I asked him.

“I figured you wouldn’t want an action movie and I didn’t want a love one so I chose a scary movie instead.”

“I love scary movies.”

“I know,” he chuckled, “Me too.”

                        We sat there as the movie started and it reminded me of movie nights when I thought I was just a human. We always chose a scary movie and mom was the only one who always got scared. Dad and I would just sit there and laugh at how scared she was because it seemed ridiculous to us.

“You miss them don’t you?” Pilote asked.

“I just miss doing nothing; the normalcy of it all. Playing on the computer, being outside, watching a movie, or going out to dinner. Next month is going to be a year since we officially met, but we’re too busy with war to celebrate any type of holiday whatsoever. We don’t have fun or enjoy life the way humans do because we’re too uptight about war and fighting and our enemy. It’s more stressful.”

“Then I’ll do something about it.”

“You don’t have to,” I told him.

“But I want to,” he said, “You’re right. Next month is special and it should be celebrated. We should be able to go one day without thinking of war or the Silthra.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive,” He assured me. “I’ll do something special. You’ll see.”

I smiled, “Okay.”

THE END CHAPTER 27!!

feedback?