To Heaven And Back

A/N Not entirely happy with this chapter but because it was so requested, I wrote a part two to 'To Hell And Back'. In all honesty, I wanted to kill off Magnus in the last one but seriously, you all asked for a part 2 XD

'Magnus!' He screamed, slamming his fist against the shield. 'Magnus!' He called out once more, a stray tear spilling from his eye. What was going on? No. No, no, no, no. This wasn't happening. Was it? Magnus was leaving. The immortal was dying before the mortal.

What a pitiful death.

'Magnus!' Alec screamed, a strangled sob wrenching his throat. 'Magnus, come back! Magnus, please!' He screamed, his lungs burning. 'This isn't happening, this isn't happening, this isn't happening...' he repeated it. Maybe, sooner or later, he would actually believe it.

He could no longer see, the tears masking his vision like darkness to the light. He was blind to what was happening around him. I think he was having what most call a panic attack. He had never experienced one before. This feeling was foreign and more painful than any battle wound had ever been.

He was shaking, now, uncontrollably, as he watched his lover fade like dust in the wind. 'Alec!' He shot his head to his left, unable to see what was happening. There was a flash of gold, followed by a string of red and a flood of black. The shapes were indecipherable.

One of the blurs slammed into the wall, falling back at the invisible force, whilst the others both embraced Magnus, masking them with their soft shapes.

Alec couldn't see a thing. No one could see a thing through the flood of tears. Why were those shapes even there in the first place? They had no place here. This was Alec's home. Why were people intruding? Who were these people?

'Alec!' His ears heard it loud and clear but he refused to acknowledge the shape of a boy to his left, slamming against the glass that couldn't be shattered. 'Alec.' The boy fell to his knees harshly, landing with a heavy thud. 'He's not dead. Why isn't he responding? Alec, come on, Alec.' The boy continued, Jace continued, looking between the girls and his parabatai.

'Alec, come on. Come over to us.' The girl stood, Clary, he face stricken with tears as she watched the warlocks breaths slow to almost nothing. 'Isabelle, call a warlock. They need to fix this.' Clary turned back to Alec, her face softening. She knew what this was better than any other shadowhunter.

She had been a mundane, once, she was taught to acknowledge that not everyone can live life with a healthy mind. Panic attacks could be common with trauma, she had one once- seeing her mother taken away. She knew what Alec needed.

'Come on, Alec. We're going to fix everything.' Alec looked up, his blue eyes, a dull gray- wide and innocent. Clary spoke softly, gently and despite their common disagreements, Alec only wanted to trust Clary. Not that he knew it was her, he still was struggling to come back to his senses. He wanted to follow the calm voice, he wanted to get to safety. He no longer wanted to be alone in this cage.

Alec unfurled himself from his ball on the floor and stood on frail legs and walked with as much pride as he could muster to the other side of the tank, where the girl sat. He cleared his vision, blinking, seeing Clary next to him.

'He's not going to be alright, is he?' Alec's voice cracked and all the hearts in the room broke. They had known this was going to happen- they just always believed that the roles would be switched. Clary brought her gaze to the floor but stood, trying to match Alec's height, or at least joining him on her feet. She peered through the glass, sighing.

'We're going to do everything we can if that's like anytime before, he's going to get through this. We all will.' Alec nodded doubtfully and placed a hand on the barrier to steady himself. He stood but his legs gave up on him, his legs slamming to the floor just as Jace's had. Jace, now on the other side of the room, spoke hurriedly down the phone- most presumably to another warlock as Isabelle called Catarina Fell.

'I don't think I can go on if he dies.' Alec whispered, another tear falling.

'Yes, you can. You have so much to live for, Alec. You've survived through millions of others deaths, if Magnus dies, you'll go on. You'll mourn, you'll cry- we all will- and you will never forget him but you will go on. If not for yourself, for the rest of us.' Clary brought her eyes to his and pleaded with a simple look. She would never let Alec die nor was she going to let Magnus.

Alec' eyes fell onto Magnus and he let another tear fall. 'I love you.' He mouthed, knowing Magnus couldn't see it. He just had to say it. If Magnus was to go, he had to. He couldn't live with himself if he couldn't.

'He loves you too, Alec.' Clary spoke kindly. 'Maybe just as much as his clothes.' She laughed, trying anything to lighten the heavy atmosphere. There was no point in crying now. They still had time yet all they could do was wait.

'I doubt it.' Alec smiled weakly, memories flooding back to him. 'He really loved his clothes.' He laughed, tears still spilling from his eyes. Laughter was the cure for everything. Even in the darkest of times, laughter could bring light. A comfortable silence fell upon them.

'Clary! Catarina is here!' Jace called out as the warlock flurried into the room, panting and gasping for air.

'Magnus.' She breathed and flung herself towards him, already getting to work as Alec watched his hands trembling. He was still trapped. He couldn't move. He couldn't hold Magnus' hand as he faded further. They were separated by nothing, it was laughable really.

Catarina held Magnus' hand tight, chanting foreign words, Alec picking up the glimpses of Latin among them.

Minutes passed.

Then an hour.

Then another two.

And, Magnus woke up.

'Alec.' He croaked, his voice hoarse and his eyes tired. 'What happened?' He gulped, focusing in on the others surrounding him. Alec looked to Catarina for answers, she hadn't given him anything- she had been too focused on what she was doing.

'He used too much magic. It can be fatal for a warlock. It happens rarely but it seemed that Magnus here did it for you. He ran out of power before he could break down the barrier, it seems. I think I had too. We'll need to call in another warlock.' The group nodded, including Alec, who hadn't yet made it to his feet.

'No, I need to get Alec out.' Magnus rolled over, groaning, stretching out a hand but he was too weak for even a simple spell, never mind breaking a barrier spell.

'It's fine, Magnus. I'll be out soon.' Alec smiled, breathing heavy. He just wanted to hold Magnus but for now, he was just stuck in this cage.

-

'There, it's down.' No one listened to the warlock send by the Clave as Alec flung himself out and into Magnus' arms, who could still barely stand but refused to sit down as his Alexander was freed.

'Don't ever do that again.' Alec murmured into Magnus' shoulder, smiling in glee.

'I won't...I think.' Magnus chuckled as Alec shook his head, exasperated, he had given up on getting Magnus to promise things. He would only break it later.

'I love you.' Alec spoke, pulling away so he could see Magnus' face.

'I love you too.'

A/N Hoorah for the completely cheesy and overdone ending! I couldn't think of anything else!

word count: 1286

published: 07.04.17