Return

A/N This is from my book Amour Immortel and is another first chapter. This one is unedited, though, and shorter but I hope you enjoy!

MAGNUS

The pale-faced, unmoving, body forced me to stop. He was dead. The blue sparks that had saved him so many times had failed. The life had been sucked out of him- because of me. Alec, my love, was dead.

Like so many other times, I believed that this spell would work. 'Just a small spell', I had told him. The lies rolled off my tongue. He believed me. The things you do for love, for eternity. An eternity together.

That was what he deserved and it was what took his last breath. My hands glided over him, preserving his body. Never would he leave me, dead or alive. The spell, the one of immortality, was a dangerous one. Never to be trusted, never to be done.

I did it for love.

That was the simple reason. My mind bickered. Just do it! Don't do it! I heard myself fight against Alec. That's what I was the demon, he was the angel. In reality and in my head, couldn't be more ironic. I was the son of the fifth ruler of hell. Love doesn't run through my blood.

Alec was different. He was an angel in disguise. Hidden behind his raven hair was the kind and caring boy I had come to love. The boy who was destined to die in my hands at only twenty. Why couldn't it be me, he was too young.

I tasted the tears before I felt them. They ran down my cheeks in floods, giving me no time to breathe.

'Please wa-.' A sob rose from my throat and cut off my plea. What could I do now? He was dead. Dead men never return; I had learnt that the hard way.

I knew what I was about to do and it wasn't pretty. I prepared myself, cutting off my magic. The one thing that could save me, even if I didn't want it.

If Alec was going to die, so was I. The climb to the roof was an easy one and one I made often. Being a warlock did not mean that I couldn't have the strength that a shadowhunter had. Although, I would never compare to Alec.

The roof was large, covering the space of my loft and more. I walked the edge and stood there, looking at the ground that was metres away, and knew this was what I wanted. I dangled one foot off the edge and prepared myself for the fall.

ALEC

The magic ran through me like electricity. It burnt but I couldn't escape the pain so instead, I endured it. The whole world was flashing white, then black, then white again. Blue sparks flashed in my vision even behind my closed eyes. I knew the magic was working but I could feel that something was wrong.

Magnus was using too much strength, the magic was weakening. The spell wasn't over. I felt a sharp pain in my heart as the white stopped. It was all black- but I was awake. I was thinking. If this was death I couldn't help but fear.

I was trapped inside my own mind for who knows how long. The agony in my heart died down. I went to feel it but my body wasn't there. It was if I was a floating spirit, maybe I was. I could still feel the pain in my body but I was no longer in it, neither was I looking at it. I just- existed. Nowhere and everywhere.

I let myself drift off. It seems that even in death, you can sleep.

-

My eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the light. I was awake, so much for being dead. I felt like I should be excited but as I woke up and felt the world again, I felt the pain. 'Magnus!' I croaked out, hoping he was still here.

I was still in his apartment. Slowly falling off the bloodied leather sofa. I stood up on shaky legs but could stand well enough to see out the window. I scanned the apartment quickly but found nothing. He must have gone out. I wanted to see him, I needed answers. I didn't remember much but I did remember the feeling of emptiness, the darkness and...demon pox. Ok, that was new. I had no recollection of anything of the sort but that was the first thing that came to mind- demon pox.

I felt the confusion but it all came flooding back at once. The spell. The spell of immortality. I looked down at myself and nothing seemed to be different but I felt queasy. Not the normal type but I had a feeling, something was wrong.

I knew what it was. Magnus wouldn't leave me. He should be here, why wasn't he here? I felt the hammer start in my head again and clutched it as if to claw the pain out. 'Ugh!' I shouted and held my head out the window hoping the outside air would clear my head even a little bit. It did nothing for the pain but it cleared my thoughts. I looked up and saw a foot dangling over the edge. They looked as if they were about to fall and I braced myself to catch them though I wasn't sure it was even possible from the window. If they jumped far enough I wouldn't be able to reach them.

The foot dangled for a while and I felt my arms tense in anticipation. I tried shouting up at them but my throat was dry and my voice too quiet to hear. In an instant, both feet fell and they flung themselves towards the ground. I couldn't help the scream escape my mouth as I reached my hand out of the window.

They plummeted down fast but my shadowhunter senses kicked in and I grabbed their arm only metres before it would have broken both our arms.

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of relief but as I opened them I nearly dropped the person's hand, the very familiar hand.

'Magnus.' I croaked.

word count: 1012

published: 7.03.17