14 Cinema

A/N

Early update, enjoy <3

Esther made hot drinks for everyone and they assembled in the kitchen, spilling out onto the deck and chatting. Jeremy and Kirstie were indeed in matching onesies, and the others were all casually dressed. Only Mitch was missing. Scott looked around and caught Avi's eye. Avi nodded almost imperceptibly, blinked once slowly and exhaled. Scott followed suit, and then Avi called out.

"Hey Mitch, come on over."

All eyes turned to watch Mitch make his entrance. He had changed into a lilac tee shirt, artfully torn to show off his collarbone tattoo and the sharp curve of the bone it named. His colourful SpongeBob tattoo sleeve seemed brighter contrasted against the loose folds of fabric that hung to mid thigh. His slender legs were clad in black leggings, and deep purple sneakers completed the look.

"Hey, everyone." Mitch walked over to accept hugs from Kirstie and Esther, a kiss on both cheeks from Lynn and Saskia, and then turned to Avi.

"Ciao, bellisimo," Avi rumbled. Behind him Saskia pretended to swoon, and Lynn giggled.

"Troppo gentile, bello," Mitch responded, and kissed him on both cheeks while Jeremy wolf whistled and the others cheered.

Their voices caressed the ear, Avi's resonant bass complementing Mitch's sweet, bell-like tone. Scott stared, lost for words. When had they got so comfortable with each other? How did Avi know Italian? An unidentified pain sparked across his chest. His stomach flipped, and he turned away to find something else to do.

Esther had put out some nibbles, and Scott grabbed a handful of nuts and concentrated on the crunch. He ground them between his teeth and drank a whole glass of water in one gulp. Then he pasted on a smile and went back to the group. He wouldn't give in to whatever nameless emotion threatened to derail his good mood. Not here, not yet.

"So, guys." Scott raised his voice to capture their attention. "Thanks for coming to the after party, sleepover edition, and I hope you're all comfortable with your rooms. We'll order pizza and then watch movies in the media room, which is downstairs next to the gym."

"Mr Fancy!" Kevin called out, and everyone laughed.

"Yeah, like you're not gonna be in there lifting by 6am, Mr Olu-swole-a!" Scott retorted.

He was still wound tight, but his friends' laughter was easing the tension by degrees. Kevin cackled loudest of all, just as he always had.

Scott pulled pizza menus out of a drawer and distributed them, giving the last one to Mitch. He was vibrating with nerves by the time all the selections were written down, amid much loud discussion and changes of mind. So much noise and they hadn't even opened any alcohol yet. He drummed his fingers against the counter and took deep breaths.

"Nearly there. It's like herding cats, really." Avi sidled up next to him and Scott was grateful for the calmness he projected. "Here's the list, you can do the ordering from your office. I'll keep an eye on things here. Go on."

Scott escaped to his sanctuary and closed the door. It would be okay, Avi and Esther would help and it would be okay. He placed the order online, and then pulled up a chilled playlist and set it to play throughout the house on the hidden sound system. He counted to ten, then twenty, before going back to the kitchen.

Esther came up to him as soon as he returned, and stroked his arm. "Okay there?"

"I guess. Food's coming in about forty minutes, it's a big order." He ran a hand through his hair. "What should I do next?"