<Night 5 ~ Odd Jobs>

(sn from last chapter- Mari came second in all the card games. Shiki: That's an achievement in itself.)

Kaname's P.O.V

I was called to Headmaster Cross's office and stopped, with my hand hovering above the handle when I heard voices on the other side. I sensed Kiryu, Yuki and Mari.

Mari, the enigma of the night class. We searched, but she has no previous records, apart from the fact she lived with her Grandma and Father, and that her Mother died during childbirth. Shiki, Rima and Kain reported back that she seemed to enjoy card games. At first, I found out the "estate" she lived on was in a more rural area, but look again; it isn't. It's only used for grand parties with aristocrats and the wealthy. Other than that, it's practically deserted. I caught drift of rumours among the aristocrats. The true estate is rumoured to be hidden in a forest by the mountains. It's strange, no one knows anything about her, which intrigued me more. What was hiding beneath her cold demeanour? It's already ever-so-slightly cracking. Blink and you miss it.

Back to present; Cross was asking something of Mari.

"It's not so bad, right Yuki?" Cross asked excitedly.

"It's alright." Yuki agreed.

"We don't need her, we're fine! What makes you think we're not capable to do the job ourselves?" Zero barked angrily.

"You're not very good with dealing with people, on the other hand Mari is!"

"I am?"

"She is?"

Yuki giggled at the two's similar reaction.

"Mhm! I saw her the other day dealing with one of the day class students! It was touching and heart warming, makes me want to be friends her~!" I heard a crash, presumably Cross leaping impulsively for a hug, Mari dodging it.

"I'll have to pass on the offer. Thank you though, it was very gracious of you to think of me." Mari responded.

"See what I mean? So lovely~!" Cross cried in joy.

"The reason being is also the reason I wanted to see you. I'd like to request the allowance of having a job. Not the disciplinary committee, a job outside of school. I have a letter of reference if you'd like to see." Mari spoke, silence soon followed.

"I see. Usually I wouldn't allow jobs, but I will make an exception. Yes, you may have a job Mari, on the condition your grades being good and you still participate in lessons." I was surprised. If Mari was from a wealthy family herself, why on Earth does she have a job? Does her family not support her?

"But of course. Thank you very much Principal Cross."

"No need to bow!"

I decided now would be a good time to make my presence known and knocked on the door.

"Must be Kaname, come in!" I opened the door, smiling to everyone. Zero scowled and clicked his tongue in disgust. "Kaname! I need to inform you, Mari has a job that means she travels to the city often." I looked over to Mari who kept her indifferent mask on. She nodded to confirm what Cross said.

"May I ask what the job is?" She blinked in incertitude.

"I cannot be specific, but it is to do with electronics." She answered. Cannot be specific? Still very secretive, even with her job. She really is something.

"I see. What did you want to discuss Headmaster?"

"Ah, that. Zero, Yuki and Mari, you are dismissed." He waved them away. They all did as told, Zero's glare lingering on me a little longer.