Switch it up.

As a Nigerian if you've lived in another country for a long time - depending on how quick you are at learning things - you'll begin to pick up the accent and start using some of the slangs too, which is normal. It's just the way it is. It's a lot easier when you're younger, because children tend to pick up accents quicker than adults would.

If you're grown up, born and bred in Nigeria, (but now live in the UK) no matter whether you know how to speak fluently in the British accent, deep down, you still cannot forget Nigerian accents. Shhhh. Don't lie to yourself, please.

Imagine this; you ask someone how long they've been in the UK, and they say, "Three years," and they're trying to form Phoné for you or pretend that they don't know what you're talking about when you speak pidgin English to them.

I swear some people just think it's that easy. Like, you move to a different country and automatically, every thing you know about your own country is completely blotted out of your memory. Suddenly, you're now a citizen of this new country. You talk like them. Act like them.

HA!

Yeah right.

Years ago, in Nigeria, before I moved, there was this lady who'd just come back from England. Apparently, she'd been there for a while, ten years or so. And even though she spoke really good English, you could still hear the slight intonation, that screamed "Actually, I'm Nigerian, I've just picked up another accent along the years, but my Nigerian accent is here to stay tho." So obviously, she wasn't born there. I remember my mum asking her what part of Nigeria she was from and her answer was, "Oh I can't remember, I haven't been to Nigeria in ages."

Say what now?!

How can a grown ass woman like you forget where you're from. Just because you've been away from the country for some years doesn't mean you just forget. You don't just 'forget'. That kind of memory doesn't just get wiped away the moment you land at Heathrow International airport.

Ahnahn, aunty, why are you lying? smh

And you know what, some people don't really know how they sound when they're trying too hard in forming this accent.

Like they'll be overdoing it, that it'll make your cringe with embarrassment.

Uncle please stop before you bite off your tongue.

Please stop! We know you were born in Ibadan and you speak with the H-factor

Please stop! We know you were born in Ibadan and you speak with the H-factor. So don't 'hover' do it. lol. Sometimes, it's best just being you rather than trying to fit in

I mean, there are times when you can switch accent and that is when it's necessary. Having a chat with a British person? Well there you go. There's your chance, you can bring on that accent. But if you're with your Nigeria crew, it's pointless trying to start up with that "Innit"

You can use "Innit" with your neighbour Jerry, now you're talking to Oladupo, born and bred in Ibadan like you. Went to the same university together, remember?

Hahahaha

Also, it's good to know your strengths in these things. Like, if you know you're good at putting up accents, then good for you. It makes things easier. Because I tell you, these British people think they're the life of the party with their "cute accents." Once they notice you have an accent different from theirs, they'll want to make your life miserable. They'll start with the "Huh," "Sorry," "Pardon," "Come again," I'm sorry, what was that?"

Bitch, if you cant hear me, go and dewax your ears please. I'm not going to repeat myself.

It's no wonder why people try to change their Nigerian accent to fit in more. But again, I say, If you know you're only going to sound worse, just stick with your normal Nigerian accent, to make life easier for all of us.

You'll find out that for most Nigerians in England, we have two tongue settings, in terms of accents. And with each day that passes by, we get better and better, in putting them to good use appropriately.

I mean, it's a relief after all you've done all day is readjust your tongue settings to the "British mode" for your colleagues at work, and then you can come home and be yourself, tongue mode back to default setting. I love the ability to switch it up.

You're at work: "Hi, you alright, mate." "Yeah good thanks, you?"

At home/with your personal person: "Ahhhh bros how far na" "I dey, how you dey?"

Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to vote and leave your comments too.
😘😘😘