Driving.

This one is dedicated to RegyisArt  :)

Driving in Nigeria is the exact opposite of what you're taught when you learn to drive in England.

Competitive. Reckless.

Honestly, most people in Nigeria don't really give a sh*t. They just drive. Everyone just plods on in their car, in the long queue of traffic, sometimes getting in the way of other people.  They're frustrated, and cursing at people; honking horns loudly when someone tries to overtake. They sit in their car stationary in the non-moving stream of traffic, sweating under the scorching heat from the sun.

Oh lawd!!!

No one thinks about safety. Sad, I know. But it's our way and it kinda sorta works for us . . . not completely tho.

First of all, the roads in England are a lot better, no large potholes sitting in the middle of the road, with cars from both directions swerving to avoid it.
Whoever the Minister of Road and Transport is, needs to get their ass up and do some serious work.

Ahba!

Maybe it's a lot better now, and there are more improvements on roads, I don't know (haven't been back in Nigeria since 2012).

Another thing is the tests you need to go through in England to get your license.
My goodness!!!
I mean it's very good though, because to be on the road, you need to understand it; the rules and regulations.

First you apply for your provisional license, that is when you turn 17. And from then, you can start taking lessons (and they are so damn expensive!!!) You also have read to the Highway code too and practice lots of mock questions to help you prepare. The Highway code is basically a book of all the do's and dont's of driving.

When you feel you're confident enough you can book for your theory test.
This test is done at a test centre. You have 50 questions (you need to get 43 questions right), along with a hazard perception. And guess what? You NEED to pass both categories.
The moment you pass your theory test, then you can book your practical test. In this one, you have a driving instructor by your side in the car, sitting silent, peering intently at your every move, whilst you're driving. Mess up big time and you fail, there's no two way about it.

No pressure.

But you see, no one goes through any of these in Nigeria.

Who get that time? Lol. In fact, there are many people who drive that don't even have their license. (Bad, I know). They might not go through professional instruction to be able to drive. Some people just learn on their own. Some, even when they're underage, can take their parents' car and do a trial with it (I'm not advising anyone to do this though) but they just somehow manage to get away with it.

In a way it works for them, but that's certainly not a mentality you want here in England. You will be in big trouble. Serious one! You can even be done for. You dare not drive someone else' car, even if you're a certified driver, unless the car is insured for your use.

Most of my friends in Nigeria would ask me, "why go through all the hassle just to drive a car?"

One word. Safety.

It's no wonder why they're so many road accidents in Nigeria, compared to the UK. Not that accidents don't happen here, they do, but not as many.

Also, the road structure, road signs, the system, everything is completely different.

In the UK you have level crossings and trams, for instance. Now, if you say, "oh I can drive, I don't need to learn sh*t." What good would it do if you don't know how to handle yourself when driving and you approach a level crossing or you find yourself in a place where trams operate.

Seriously, that way works in Nigeria, but it would never work here. They're far too safety conscious and honestly I don't see anything wrong with that. You know what they say, "Better safe than sorry."

It's one thing being able to drive, it's another thing being able to drive SAFELY.
I don't mean to sound pessimistic or anything, but the method here (all the safety precautions and stuff), I'm not sure it would work effectively in Nigeria.

For where na? Our people are far too impatient for something like that.

But personally though, I prefer the way here in England. But what I'm not so keen about is just the cost.

Jesu!!! Per hour of a driving lesson is freaking £25. And they say you need an average of 30 to 40 lessons. Do the math. Although if you're very good, and learn quick it can be less.

But still . . . 

You also need to pay to book the tests. And eventually when you pass and buy a car, you have to pay for your insurance, which is hella expensive especially for new drivers. Not only that, you have your MOT and road tax to think of too.

Chai!!!

The reason I wrote this chapter on driving is because I 've recently just passed my theory test. Hallelujah!!! 

For the past few months I've been preparing for it and I can say it paid off. Woohoo!!! I was so nervous on the day though, but I made it.

So, Practical test next. Will let you know how it goes, when I'm ready for it.    

I'm so overwhelmed with the way this book is going. I've gotten over 140 reads. I cannot believe it. Thank you for reading. 

And please keep voting too :)