"Sure. Now, I'll get back to watching Robinear, ok?"

Suddenly, a golden tom stalked over to stand at Thrushnose's side.

Leopardpaw?

Robinear took advantage of everyone's surprise to break free of Greyfur's hold and pull Thrushnose back.

"You stay away from her. She clearly doesn't like you, and this isn't helping." Leopardpaw confronted his brother, tail flickering.

Willowpaw glared at his littermate. "What's it to you?" He paused, then added: "You clearly like her as well."

Leopardpaw scowled. "Well, maybe, but I care enough to not take her by force!"

Willowpaw snorted. "Weak."

"Do you want to test that, you spoiled, fat lump of--"

"Stop!" Robinear burst out. "This is ridiculous! Just calm down, both of you." Especially you, Willowpaw.

Willowpaw sniffed haughtily. "This isn't your business."

Robinear nearly snapped a retort, but Thrushnose's tail in her mouth muffled it. "No sense in making it any worse," she murmured.

Robinear sighed but subsided, albeit with a couple muttered curses directed at Willowpaw.

Now Willowpaw turned back to Leopardpaw. "Besides, she already is mine." He gestured toward his clawed face with his tail.

Robinear's blood ran cold. Was he insinuating...oh by the darkness NO...

"Would you like another wound to match it?" she hissed, unsheathing her claws. This time, Thrushnose didn't hold her back, and she padded forward to stand beside Leopardpaw.

Willowpaw took half a step backward. "You wouldn't dare," he mewed, though he didn't sound certain.

"Try me," Robinear hissed. She felt angry enough that her fear of blood was pushed to the back of her mind.

Right now, she felt she'd be able to really draw blood.

She took a threatening step forward.

"What is the meaning of this?!"

Everyone froze.

All of the Leaders had clearly been in a meeting in the Female Leader's Den, and they had just walked out.

To see Robinear threatening a Lesser Leader.

Foxdung.

Robinear hurriedly re-sheathed her claws, wincing as she felt Lilyflower's angry gaze sweep over her.

This isn't what it looks like.

"What's happening?" snapped Oakbranch to Fawnfur.

She flinched but quickly ducked her head in submission. "Leader of the Trees, Willowpaw of the Lesser Leaders was threatening Robinear. Thrushnose and Leopardpaw of the Hunters defended her, before she stepped forward."

Oakbranch turned to Willowpaw. "Trainee?"

Willowpaw dipped his head. "Leader of the Trees, nothing of the sort happened! I was simply admiring the view--" at this, he sent a meaningful glance toward Robinear, "-- when she out of nowhere threatened me!"

Marigoldflower looked to the rest of the Clan. "Is that what happened?"

A frantic shaking of heads.

Marigoldflower looked over the Clan again. "Fine. I'll let this pass...but one more offense..." She glared in Robinear's direction.

Robinear shivered.

With a couple more glares in her direction, the Leaders stalked over to the prey pile.

Thank the Sun and Moon. Robinear breathed a sigh of relief.

She glanced toward Thrushnose, who instantly curled her tail with hers. The silver tabby and thick-furred white she-cat stayed that way for a minute before Robinear yawned loudly.

Thrushnose purred. "To the den you go."

Robinear made a sound of protest. "But I'm not..." her statement was interrupted by another yawn, "...tired."

"Sleep."

"Fine," Robinear sighed, padding into the den and settling on the moss.

She was asleep before Thrushnose could even say "I told you so."

~----------------------------------------------~

Robinear woke up with Thrushnose asleep beside her.

Watching the beautiful she-cat's chest rise and fall, Robinear wondered briefly whether they were, unofficially, mates.

It was the kind of question she could never manage to ask.

She stood there a moment more, then abruptly turned and walked over to the other she-cat in the den.

She hadn't spoken to Finchfeather in a long time-- perhaps since she was a kit. Does she remember me?

"Finchfeather?"

The black-and-grey she-cat looked up in surprise, her gaze lighting up when she saw who was talking. "Robinear?"

Well, that answers that question.

"Hi! Uh, I just wanted to talk to you about...you know...Willowpaw." Robinear's voice caught there, and Finchfeather's expression fell.

"Oh. I see. Did he...ah...approach you?"

Robinear nodded.

Finchfeather wrinkled her nose. "I'm ashamed that I am his mother," she muttered. Louder, she added: "So, what about it?"

The silver tabby shuffled her feet. "Is there anything you...or I...can do?" She paused. "I mean, you know him better than anyone, so..."

Finchfeather flicked her tail helplessly. "All I can say is...this is not my little Whitekit. They did something...they molded his mind..." She suddenly look on the verge of hysteria, breathing heavily. "What did they do to him?"

Robinear flinched. "I don't know. But I swear I'll find out. This is wrong."

Finchfeather just nodded, taking deep breaths to steady herself. "Thank you, Robinear."

That was when Robinear realized what she said.

By the Sun and Moon, what is wrong with me? she wondered. This is the second time...

For the second time in her life, Robinear spoke of treason.

Hello again! We're now on schedule to finish this book by the end of May!

What did you think of Willowpaw, Leopardpaw, and Finchfeather? Of ThrushnoseXRobinear?

Until Saturday now! (I've been updating like nuts to make up for my inactivity earlier)

~Ember