25. Almost In-laws

Start from the beginning

Both Kyisha and Rory are happily married with children.

Kyisha and her husband, DeVante, we're high school sweethearts, who got married right out of high school. They ended up going to UIC together, and starting their family after they graduated. Their son, Tobias, is a year older than Bryan, and the two happen to be best friends.

Things happened a little differently for Rory. Before she moved to the USA, she was in a seemingly healthy relationship with an investment banker, until things took a turn for the worse. Her fiance, Jack, became verbally and physically abusive when he found out she was pregnant. She called off the wedding shortly after, and took out a restraining order against him. Before she left Sheffield, she petitioned for, and was granted, full custody of their daughter, Elisa.

Despite her abusive relationship, she never let that deter her from finding love. Which is why, she's only very recently come back from her second honeymoon. Her husband Diego, who is a music producer, even adopted Elisa as his own daughter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"So how are you handling the "feelings"?" Kyisha asks me once the kids have taken off.

"What do you mean? And why'd you put quotations around feelings?"

"I mean, your college sweetheart, and the love of your life, has just come crashing back into your life, and it hasn't cause you to feel some type of way?" She questions, her disbelief evident.

"Besides the relief I'm feeling now that Stephen knows, and the joy I feel when I get to witness just how happy Bry is about him being in his life, there are no other feelings being stirred. Besides the negative ones concerning our meddling parents." I tell her.

"We're not talking about how you feel concerning Calvin, or Bryan." Rory cuts in. "I'm glad that Bryan is enjoying having a father, but you haven't been on second date in years, which we can insinuate is because you're not over Steph. There's no need to play dumb. You might want to deny it to yourself, but I see right through this facade. You need to admit, process, and then deal with what you're feeling."

I look at her in mild shock. "Let's not be too dramatic here. Even if there were feelings in the mix, now would not be the time to explore them. At all. I get where you guys are coming from, being concerned friends and all. But thinking that I'm going to admit to still being in love with my ex, and that we'll just pick up where we left off, like the last five years haven't shaped us into different people, is insanity." I try to explain to her.

"We're not saying that you should jump right back into a relationship with guy." She says as she reaches across the table to touch my hand. "We're just saying your due for a reality check. And the reality is: you still have feelings for your baby daddy. Whether or not you act on it is completely up to you. However, denying it is pointless." She says with finality.

After the museum and lunch, I spend the entire ride home thinking on what Rory said.

Do I still have feelings for Steph?

I don't know.

Maybe.

Probably.

Yes.

Even so, you can't just be separated from someone for years, and then try to pick up where things left off.

You aren't even the same person you were all those years ago, and neither is the other person.

That's just wishful thinking, and I am so beyond that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

When we arrive back home, later than I originally planned, I rush into the house to get Bryan and myself ready.

It's only at this point that I realize I have nothing to bring to the dinner. It's not a potluck, or even formal, but I was raised to always bring something, even if it's desert, or wine.

Knowing now that I'll need to stop at the store, I speed up my procession. Slipping on a black blouse, dark jeans, and my black flats, I make sure Bryan is dressed appropriately before getting into the car.

I stop at the Garrett popcorn shop downtown to pick up two large bags of popcorn, before getting back on the expressway.

Considering how behind we were earlier, I'm more than pleased when we reach the building that Stephen resides in with a few minutes to spare.

Immediately after Bryan and I are buzzed up, the nerves start to settle in. I try to remind myself that the stakes are different this time around. That I'm no longer trying to impress my ex-boyfriend's parents. That I no longer have to feel intimidated by them or their wealth. I'm a successful, independent woman who has made a name for herself in the ad business here in the city. I'm a boss.

When we reach to top floor, the penthouse to be more specific, Mrs. Sims is standing in the doorway sporting a flour covered apron and a large smile.

"Oh my goodness!" She squeals, barely able to keep still.

As we come closer, she tries her hardest to compose herself. She squats down to Bryans level when we reach her.

"Hello, darling." She greets him. Her enthusiasms is contagious, prompting Bryan to give her an exuberant "Hi" in response.

"This is Stephen's.....um...your dad's mom." I tell him. "Which means, that she's your grandmother."

"But I already have a grandma." He scrunches his face in confusion.

After I explain to him that he can have more than one grandparent, he eventually gives Larissa a hug.

She ushers us into the foyer, taking both bags of popcorn and thanking me for being so "thoughtful".

We walk into the living room where Stephen is currently tampering with television. As soon as he spots him, Bryan rushes over to Stephen to greet him. "Hi, daddy."

Stephen, who must've not known we were here yet, spins around and bends down just in time to accept Bryans embrace.

Larissa clasps her hands over her mouth, tears in her eyes, as she watched duo interact.

The display of affection brings the conversation I had earlier with the girls to the forefront of my mind.

I can't deny that seeing the two together touches some hidden away part of me. My mind seems to pick those moments to reminisce about out the life I once envisioned for Stephen and I.

Hearing loud footsteps from my left, I tear my eyes away from the adorable scene in front of me, and turn my head to see Calvin, Stephen's father, coming around the corner.

___________________________________________________________________

Peep the length

A/N: I finally updated!!!

Wow. When I tell y'all ya girl was SWAMPED.......I mean all my teachers must've convened and decided that they were all gonna give out hella projects that would be due between mid march and the beginning of April.

BUT GOD!

I honestly can't believe I made it through this week sjdjfbnsmsm.

I was like 90% sure I'd have some sort of mental breakdown before Wednesday.

BUT GOD!

Anyway......what do you think about the Chapter?

Krys' friends names seem real familiar don't they..........👀

Is Calvin gonna be cordial? An asshole? Qué?

How do you think dinner with progress?

Hmmmm

160+ votes for next chapter.

And as always, thank you for your continued support!! It is much appreciated.