25. Almost In-laws

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Stephen asks me for what seems like the hundredth time.

"Steph, I'm perfectly fine. I don't mind at all, really." I reassure him.

Stephen, or more specifically his mother, invited Bryan and myself over to Stephen's place for a "movie night". What Stephen was unaware of, at least until 20 minutes ago when he found out, is that his father will also be in attendance.

"I'm honestly shocked that you're okay with it. I almost called the whole thing off when she told me. How can you be so calm about it? I thought you, like me, held a deep dislike for the man."

I breathe heavily into the phone, sighing. "I do dislike him. A lot, actually. But like I said the other day, I really don't want to rehash the past. If your dad honestly, truly, wants to make amends, and start anew, I'm not going to keep flinging his past mistakes into his face. Don't get me wrong, I really would appreciate an apology, in fact I hope he's planning on giving me one tonight, but I'm done holding on to this anger. It's exhausting, Steph." I tell him.

His end of the call remains silent. He ponders over what I says before replying. "I guess you're right. I want to move past this whole thing as well. I just think it's a lot easier to do in theory, than it is to do in reality.

Anyway, enough of the heavy stuff. What do you and Bryan have planned for the afternoon?" He switches gears.

"I'm taking him out for a play date with some of my girlfriends and their kids. We're going to go to the Kohl Children's Museum, and then maybe Panera for a small lunch."

"Aw man. That sounds like fun." He takes a deep breath, and by the frustrated sound that comes from his mouth, I imagine he's haphazardly running his hand through his hair. "I wish I could come with you guys, but I'm swamped at work right now. Not that I'd want to intrude on your time with him or anything..." He starts, but I cut him off, already knowing where his thoughts are headed.

"Hey, its fine. I know you didn't mean it in any additional way other than letting me know that you want to spend more time with him, especially outside of my living room. As soon as your schedule is freed up a bit, you'll be able to have all the father-son adventures you want."

His sigh once again comes through the phone. "I know. You'd think I'd be able to at least take off on weekends. It's like these people have no idea what they're doing. Every time there's a pitch, and I leave the associates in charge to handle it, like I should be able to, things go to shit."

A honk from outside momentarily interrupts me. I make my way off of the carpeted floor in the living room, and head towards the window. Taking a peek out, I see that Kyisha's van is outside and that everyone else has already been picked up. We're carpooling today. Go green. Save the earth.

"You're too nice sometimes, Stephen. If your employees and colleagues are acting like they can't do their jobs, then maybe they shouldn't have one. Fire them, and hire better staff. Look my rides outside, so I'm going to get going, but Bryan and I will see you later on, yeah?"

"Yeah. See you tonight." He says before I disconnect the call.

I call Bryan downstairs, and then we're out the door and into the van.

"Hey, girl. It's been a bit since I've seen you!" Rory, our wonderfully English friend exclaims when she sees me.

"I know," I say apologetically, "Things have been hectic lately."

"Tell me about it." Both she and Kyisha say in unison, causing the three of us to laugh, and our children to give us funny looks.

I turn around in my seat to greet the kids, and get a chorus of "Hi, Auntie Krystina" is response.