Chapter 1: "I'll treat you your favorite kimbap later, promise!"

YERI

"Yeri-ah, wake up! You're gonna be late for school!" my mother yelled and I heard continuous knock on my door.

I groaned, complaining mentally why do I still have to go to school. I didn't get up and tucked my body more onto my bed, covering my face with a pillow and a blanket, silently hoping that I won't hear the knocks anymore.

I closed my eyes once more, urging myself to go back to sleep but it was ruined when my sister, Irene-eonni entered the room and started shaking my shoulder numerous times. "Kim Yerim! Wake up, we're gonna be late!" Irene eonni kept on repeating that phrase while continuing to shake my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes in mid-air and sat up groggily. "I'm awake now, you could stop shaking my shoulders, my bones would break," I spoke that caused Irene eonni to stop shaking me. She just flicked my forehead that caused me to groan.

"If you go back to sleep again, I'm gonna kill you." she threatened, looking at me sternly before leaving the room.

I yawned before fully standing up, afraid to get killed by my own sister. I only got what—3 hours? 4 hours?—of sleep because of that damn plate. Ah, I ruffled my hair before started taking a bath.

"Aish, Kim Yerim. I told you to sleep early so we won't have a hard time waking you up. I'm three minutes late for my Physics subject, great," Irene eonni kept on complaining all our way to Empire High, our school. She's in her twelfth grade while I'm still on my tenth grade. She's just like that because she's a huge nerd, she's grade conscious.

"Hehe, mianhae, eonni. I'll treat you your favorite kimbap later, promise!" I apologized that made Irene eonni's doe eyes widen. "Okay, you said that, I'll be waiting for it," she said before running off to the building where her classroom is located. I just laughed at her playfulness before walking off to my classroom.

When I reached the room, I slowly grabbed the doorknob before twisting it, afraid because my teacher might throw me stuffs. I slowly walked to avoid getting noticed by my teacher but I stopped when I heard a yell.

"YAH! Kim Yerim! You punk, aren't you too early for your second period?" my homeroom teacher, Ms. Choi, shouted. I looked at her with an apologetic glance and smiled gently, hoping that she'd let me pass this time.

"He-he, sorry, Ms. Choi," I apologized, bowing my head, then crossing my fingers. Ms. Choi is my strict teacher in Math, and I honestly forgot that Mathematics is our first period today, gah.

"Outside, now!" she yelled and I ran outside. I could hear my classmates' silenced laugh, okay, that wasn't funny. It isn't my fault why sleep is so addicting. But honestly speaking, I very much prefer being outside than to listen to her boring lectures. Math is boring, I mean, only nerds appreciate it. How can we use algebra in our future, anyways?

I sat up on the floor, my butt hitting the cold ground, and took out my phone and earphones. I pressed something on my phone and the next thing I knew, I'm already listening to Ailee's Heaven.

I leaned my head onto the wall and closed my eyes, soothing my body with my favorite song. Ailee is my favorite singer, her songs are perfectly sung. I just opened my eyes when I heard muffled chatterings in front of me.

It was a boy—a boy whose face seemed familiar—and behind him is a group of girls who seemed giddy because they're behind the boy they fantasize every night.

I stared at him, his face is very familiar but I couldn't remember where I saw him. His pace was fast but that doesn't stop him from having an eye contact with me.

Our eyes met for a few seconds because he avoided his gaze and continued to walk away.

I stood up, suddenly remembering who he was. But by the time I stood up, his back is already facing me, he's too far from me though his fangirls are still tailing him.

And so, I used the way that would totally garner his attention and when I did, he really looked at me, but not the kind of look I expected him to use.

I called him out, yes. I called him.

"Oppa!" I shouted.