The scab had fallen off and the mark didn't hurt, but the scar showed no signs of fading. Diane's mark had never faded, and that was why she always wore her archery wrist gauntlet. My scar was on the back of my leg and much less noticeable. It didn't really look like a bite mark either, but Diane told me to put the concealer on whenever I wore shorts that could reveal it.

She could speak from experience, so I counted it as a wise decision. Too bad there wasn't any fancy thing I could put on to hide the mark without makeup. Diane had a very nice archery brace that many people admired, but I doubted I would get that reaction regardless of how pretty of a knee brace I found... Not much covered the area just behind the knees...

I was out of breath, so we slowed to a walk. I was making progress. At this point I could jog over half of the day if we broke it up into small chunks. I was starting to understand what Diane had meant when she told me that anything that moved caught her attention.

There were dozens of birds and animals in the forest beside the road. I had never noticed them on our previous trips. When Diane pointed out something, I found it easy to spot whatever she was showing me. My hearing was a bit better as well.

Between the enhanced eyesight, hearing, and energy, it felt like a brand new world. I was eager to see as much of it as I could. Many plants were just starting to sprout in the spring weather and many birds were starting to return from their migration. There were so many things to see.

I pointed, "Look, there is a fox under that bush."

Diane glanced over and nodded, "Yes, if you look just to the right, you will see a second one."

Well, I guess my sight still had some improving to do. My mirror showed me that I now had the same bright blue eyes that Diane did. They didn't glow in the dark yet, it would be another month before they would begin to merely glimmer.

A blue jay called in a tree nearby before flying across the road. I watched the pretty bird as it disappeared into the trees. Movement caught my eye and I stiffened. I transferred my gaze back to the road and leaned closer to Diane before whispering, "Diane, there is someone in the tree..."

Diane glanced in the correct direction, but didn't look surprised as she whispered back, "I know. It is a sentry for Toga Place. There were some last time we came as well. Try not to look at him in case he realizes that you spotted him."

I should have known that she had spotted him. My training had also taught me not to let the watcher know that I had spotted him. Diane gently took my hand before twirling me around like I was dancing. I started laughing, and when Diane let go, I continued my ballerina spin in a complete circle around her as she kept walking.

The sentry was likely confused at the sight of a heavily armed woman and a child walking alone on a road that led to nowhere, except to where another settlement had been destroyed. They would be suspicious, but hopefully not threatening or violent. We had stayed here before after all.

I peered ahead as I heard hoof beats. Two horseback riders rounded the bend and Diane slowed down her walk a bit more in caution. Both the man and the woman were armed. I nervously ducked behind Diane and that caused them to slow down their approach.

Rick had told me that if a child looked nervous and hide behind an adult, that most strangers would slow down if they meant no harm. Once more, he was correct. The woman looked guilty as I hid. Diane slowed to a stop as she put the butt of her glaive beside her foot and stood at ease.

They slowed their horses to a stop once they were within speaking range. The one guy spoke up first, "Hello, welcome to Toga Place. I hope you don't mind me saying it, but it is rather odd to see two people on foot with no nearby settlements in that direction."