‘I’m not siding with anyone! I’m doing what is right! I’m not having-‘

‘Look Henry, it’s better if I just leave this place. You don’t have to worry about me and you certainly won’t-‘

‘No Ally, you listen to me! I promised your mother a long time ago that we take care of each other’s kids if something happened to either of us! I’m doing something right for once! What kind of a bestfriend would I be if I leave you to fend alone?’ he exclaimed at me incredulously.

I shook my head at him, smiling painfully at him as he looked at me with so much emotion buried deep in his eyes. I had never seen him this tortured before in my entire life and he usually have a huge smile plastered on his face whenever I passed him in school. He looked so broken and so torn with decision.

‘I can take care of myself,’ I told him. ‘I can live with Mitchell for the moment, he has an apartment.’

He shook his head, scowling at my words. ‘He can’t take care of himself! He got himself piss drunk and you had to find him in the middle of the morning, I wouldn’t allow it!’ He lets out a frustrated breath and ran both hands through his greying hair, looking defeated as he looked at the two women standing with him in the kitchen.

‘Listen to the girl-‘

‘Will you shut up for once Heather? I can’t believe you want to send the girl away just because she’s Linda’s daughter. I thought you’re over this, you are my wife not her and I thought you’re-‘

‘How dare you! How dare you ask me to shut up!’ she screamed at him shrilly, her voice cracking at the high note that she was letting out and making me wince at her sharp voice. She rounded at her husband, jabbing a finger on his chest. ‘You should know why I’m like this Henry! You love her more than you can ever love me!’

I stared at her incredulously while Henry looked like he just got slapped by his wife. ‘W-what are you talking about? What nonsense are you spouting here Heather?’ he asked her weakly, frowning at the sudden change of subject that they were arguing about. Now, it has to come down to this.

‘You are still in love with your bestfriend right?!’ she bellowed at his face as she grabbed his shirt, shaking him as hard as she could. I stared at them, shocked at the sudden change in events. ‘You still love her I can see it in your eyes!’

For once, Henry kept quiet. He looked shocked; his eyes were wide with pain as he stared at his wife who was glaring at him with so much hatred aiming at him. Without even waiting for anything, she started hitting him with her fists. ‘I knew it, you still love her! It’s like my love for you it’s never enough! I hate you! I really hate you!’ she screamed so loudly.

She kept hitting at him, her eyes finally filling up with tears as she screamed her anger out at him. But Henry allowed her to hit him, letting her fist pummel onto his chest and his stomach. He didn’t look fazed at all by the hitting and pounding but he looked even more pained as he looked at his wife breaking down.

He tried stopping her hands from pummelling him, tried to grasp her arms but only managed to aggravate her even further so he just mutely wrapped his strong arms around her body, wanting her to stop hitting him and also wanting her to stop being so angry at him. I witnessed all of these standing by the doorway.

It was kind of awkward.

I watched them in that embrace for a full minute before she snapped out of her daydream. She pushed him away from him, causing him to stumble in shock and she glared at the both of us. She straightened her posture and her face fell blank, I could see the emotion hiding behind a strong defensive wall.