Chapter 5 Adding Insult to Injury

"Eden darling I have something for you."

"What is it mom?" I question as seven year old me races across the room to my mother.

"I want you to have this." She gives me her engagement ring and I gasp. It was silver with a big diamond on it, it has also a camera engraved at the back.

"Capture the memories you want to hold on forever and never it it go." She hugged me......before collapsing.

"Mama no!!!"

"Mom" I whisper opening my eyes. I wince at the blinding sunlight but adjusting quickly to see both Mason and James huddles around me making sure I was okay.

"Eden can you hear me?" Mason questioned. I nodded.

"Let me help you up." James insisted helping me up to stand.

I tried to but failed when an eruption of pain on my right ankle brought me back to the ground.

"Eden!" Mason scremed

"Aww" I clutch my ankle. James immediately went to my side looking frantically for help.

"It's no use. The first aid was in the other helicopter." Houston looked down. I looked around to see who else was here. San, Victor and Houston besides James, Mason and I.

But it was really Houston who caught my attention because he was ranting to himself pacing beck and forth. My heart died a little seeing such a young boy in a situation like this.

Mason looked where I was looking and said "Slivko, It's okay we're scared too. But we got to keep moving okay?" He looked at her and nodded swallowing his Adam's apple. His eyes went to me and widened that I was awake. I greeted him with an awkward wave.

A roar came out in a distance which les us to have our eyes widen and heart pace in fear.

"We have to lear. NOW." James got up and ordered everyone to pack up. I however, was freaking out since I couldn't walk and definitely not want to be left alone here.

Luckily my prayers were answered when James made me jump on his back gave me a piggy back ride.

-------------

It was an hour or so since we took off running and we (excluding me who didn't run at all) were exhausted. So we stayed in a clearing to rest.

In front of us was a lake so I decided to get water. I crawled and scooped out water to clench my thirst.

An rumble from the ground came after my third scoop. I immediately crawled back fast knowing well enough that it wasn't an earthquake.

I was right. A mountain high buffalo came emerged from the water. I was scared, bit that didn't stop ke from taking a few photos from my miraculously not damaged camera which was still around my neck.

We were all shaking in anticipation in what was gonna happen next. But Slivko had it worse, he aimed his gun at the beast about to pull the trigger.

The buffalo looked harmless to me, but beauty could be dangerous. A lesson already taught to me by this Skull Island.

"Slivko put the gun down." James came closer to the frightened boy. "Please." But each step he took, the more scared Slivko was. "Calm down." James managed to grab the gun out of Slivko's grasp making me exhale in relief.

The buffalo left shortly after making all of us think that maybe, just maybe not everything here is bad.

James came up to me when we were leaving offering help. "Please?" I ask as he chuckles and scoops me up in a bridal position then a piggy back ride instead.

We wandered into the jungle again. But this time we did not stop, but something caught my eye.

"Wait stop!" That got everyone's attention. "What's that?" I pointed.

There was an abandoned temple not far from where we were. We all looked at each other curiousness in our eyes before heading towards the temple.

"We were not the first ones here." San was the first one to speak up.

"It seems that way." Victor opened his mouth at awe of this.

Mason and I shared a look of knowing before taking pictures of this old settlement. That was until the walls started to have eyes, literally. Mason screamed and I almost dropped my camera as people with painted camouflage emerged. All seven of use were trapped in a circle and was ready to fight.

Most of us didn't have weapons, only James and Slivko did. So I gripped my mother's engagement ring hard which was on my neck. Praying and bracing myself for what was about to come next.