Chapter 20

As Mary was walking back from the ladies room, she heard a familiar voice call her name. "Mary? Mary Parker?"

Mary stopped as she focused on the tables in the room. Rising from his seat, Bruce Wayne strutted over to a surprised Mary. "Mr. Wayne..? How are you?"

Bruce offered his hand for a hand shake, Mary slightly hesitated as she shook his hand. " I'm good. Tessa told me what happened at the bank." His expression was calm but apologetic.Mary didn't know what to say. " I asked Tessa for your contact information, but she said she couldn't release it, due to banks policy."

Mary was confused, "Why would you want to contact me?"

Bruce kinda blushed, " Well.. I wanted to make amends for how the Wayne foundation treated your entry for the internship over diner. Lucius sent me your file and I was very impressed.  My question Mary, is why just a nurse or practicioner? You have the ability  to be a doctor or a bio engineer." 

Mary's expression grew emotionless. "With all due respect Mr. Wayne, after being rejected for the internship, I knew I could only afford to be a nurse or hopefully a practicioner. As the board told me; "You're  just not good enough. So please excuse me if I'm not reaching high enough of your expectations."

Bruce's mouth went dry. "I'm am very sorry about how you were treated. If I could change it, I would." Mary looked down. Bruce continued, "Come work for me at Wayne Corp. I'll give you your own department for research."  

Mary was about to speak when she heard Frost voice, "Miss Parker.. Their waiting for you at the meeting." Marry turned to a concerned sympatic Frost and nodded.

Mary turned back to Bruce with sad eyes, "Thank you Mr. Wayne, but I must decline. It was nice to see you again." 

Bruce swallowed hard and nodded. He watched as Mary walked away with Frost close behind as her protection. Bruce ran his hand through his hair as he sat back down and waited for the check.

Mary walked back to her seat an both men stood as Joker pulled her seat out, his voice was low but intimidating. "What took ya so long?"

Mary didn't look up from her plate. " I was held up. I'm sorry I kept you waiting. Please proceed."

Joker sank back into his seat, "Please continue Ozzy.."

Oswald growled, "Like I was saying, this group is a shaking bunch to deal with. They've been known to double cross, but the price that they are selling at is hard to refuse. That's another reason I need you in on this. They fear your unpredictable nature."

Joker smirked, "Ok.. Send Miss Parker here the details and we'll get this squared away."

Oswald looked very pleased. "Excellent."  

Joker looked at his phone, " Time to go, we have another meeting Miss Parker." 

Joker stood and pulled her chair from the table. Oswald stood as she did and slightly bowed, "Miss Parker. I do hope you enjoy the flowers." 

Mary smiled, "Oh, you know I will. Thank you again Mr. Cobblepot."

"Please call me Oswald."  

Mary nodded and turned to her employer. She looked down and saw his fingers twitching. In his low voice, "After you.." He raised his arm for her to lead the way. Mary slightly hung her head. She could hear some gasps from the customers when they realized that the Clown Prince of Gotham was walking through the main dining room. Just was they were walking past the men's room the door opened and out stepped Bruce Wayne.  

In Bruce's mind, it seemed as though the scene was in slow motion. Joker slowly cut his eyes in his direction and grabbed Mary's arm and whispered something in her ear as the proceeded out to the car.  Bruce noticed Mary turn in his direction and caught his eye. She then looked back to Joker as he still had a grip on her little arm and shook her head.  Joker threw back his head and cackled. Bruce felt his blood pressure rising. He started to bolt for the door to see what vehicle they retreated in. His was breathing heavily as he reached the side walk. He spun around as he looked. Nothing. His heart sank. "God Mary.. What have you gotten yourself in to?"

Mary POV

As Mary was walking out, she felt Joker lightly grasp her arm. He leaned close enough to whisper in her ear, "Would you fuck him?" Mary turned to see who he was talking about and saw a shocked Bruce Wayne. She  looked to Jokers eyes, shook her head and continued to look foward. Joker threw his head back to cackle in amusement. Mary just wanted to disappear.  Frost had the car ready. Joker flung open the door and pushed her in. "Floor it!"

Frost gassed the SUV. Mary gasped as she was learched back in her seat. " Whats the rush?"

Joker looked at her coldly, "We wouldn't want another ex to come knocking on our door again would we?" 

Mary looked him square in the eye, "Hes not my fucking ex.. I barely know him. He's a customer at Gotham Bank."

 Joker sulked back against his seat and looked out the window. He knew she was telling the truth. Sometimes it seemed her honesty and true nature was constant judgement on him. "Maybe that's why I can't stand anybody to touch her. Nobody's good enough for her." He then heard the darkness, "Even us Jakie boy..? But what does that matter..? We always get what we want.. Right..?" Joker smirked at his last thought.