XXXIII : Aslan's Warning

Start from the beginning

"Still think you were not ready?"

The blonde let off a shrug as she thought about Aslan's question. "I definitely think I was more ready than I realized, but you're never truly ready for the throne."

"And how right you are dear one." Aslan smiled at her before his face turned more serious. "Unfortunately, I am not only here for formalities and good tidings I'm afraid."

Elizabeth frowned at his statement as she started to get an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Just like that time when she discovered that Aslan had known that Mr. Tumnus had been kidnapped for quite sometime before he actually told her. Aslan knew things, things that Elizabeth sometimes had no idea he could possibly have known, but yet he did. Whenever she got this feeling in her stomach though she knew something was up, it meant Aslan knew something that was not going to end very well on her end.

"You might want to sit down for this," the lion advised as Elizabeth sat down awaiting the news. Instead of going right into the news that Aslan was going to deliver, he went silent in thought while the nineteen-year-old sat anxiously waiting. "I don't want you to take this the wrong way, and I want nothing less than to damper your wedding day, but I must inform you anyway because I will have to leave by the end of the week none the less. You and Edmund cannot have a child."

The girl frowned at his words and was quiet for a moment as she went over the warning in her head. "We . . . cannot have . . . a child?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she continued viewing the warning. "Why—What—I don't understand," she finally stuttered out as she sat up higher in her seat looking at the lion with a highly confused look. "I don't think I'm following on this one."

The lion let out a sigh as he hung his head and then looked back up at Elizabeth. "I'm afraid it's just as I've told you. You and Edmund cannot have a child, under any circumstances."

"Okay, this is my wedding day, in all of Narnia I can assure you that is the furthest thing on my mind right now, and I'm sure the same goes for Edmund. Why are you advising this out of all times?"

"I wish there was a better time, but Elizabeth you need to trust me."

"Oh, I need to?" Elizabeth said as her eyebrows started to slant as she stared at Aslan. "Why is this even being advised or why am I even being warned about this? Are you saying something bad is going to happen like you've seen a vision and I'm going to die in childbirth or something?"

Aslan sighed once more and shook his head no before continuing. "If only it was that simple," he said as he stood up. "I cannot explain that much more to you, it's not something I can just reveal to you and I don't want you dwelling on all of this today. Today you need to focus on Edmund and your happiness, nothing else," the lion instructed as he begin to leave the room. "I will see you at the doors."

"Wait!" Elizabeth called out as she stood up and faced Aslan as she bit her lip nervously. "You at least have to tell me what would be so terrible about having a child?"

Aslan stood motionless as he faced Elizabeth at her door and the two just watched one another for a moment. "Surely you can't believe you were meant to stay here forever Elizabeth," Aslan said as he raised his eyebrows softly and then left the room with those words leaving a very confused Elizabeth alone in her room.

The girl was still standing still in her room thinking continuously over her conversation with Aslan when Malaki walked into the room in an exuberant manner. He stopped short though we he saw Elizabeth standing in her room in a somewhat dazed manner and cocked his head to the side at her. "What's up with you? Shouldn't you be excited?" He asked her as he ran over excitedly and ran in circles around her before sitting down beside her and looking up at her with his tail just wagging like an excited puppy.