XV : Who's Aslan?

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Who's Aslan?

The little beaver walked along the ground as the four children stared at it. Lucy's eyes were as big as saucers as she watched the creature. The siblings gave each other small looks and began to untangle themselves from one another.

"It...it's a beaver," Lucy slowly exclaimed as the animal came closer towards them.

Peter knelt down and put out a hand towards it. "Here boy," he said and then started to make an odd ticking sound. "Here boy," he repeated as he reached out his hand to the beaver.

The beaver looked at the hand and back to Peter with an odd face. "I ain't gonna smell it, if that's what ya want," he retorted.

Edmund gasped while Susan's eyes grew enormous and Lucy just laughed. Peter's eyes were about as big as Susan's and he carefully backed away, bringing his hand with him. "Um, sorry," he muttered looking at Lucy who was just grinning.

The beaver still looked very serious and started looking around the siblings until his eyes fell on the youngest one. "Lucy Pevensie?" He asked, motioning towards her.

Lucy's smile was quick to fade as she looked at the beaver. "Yes?" She asked carefully walking away from her siblings and towards the beaver.

As the beaver reached behind him, he pulled out what appeared to be a white cloth with a "P" engraved on it. He then handed it to Lucy who took it from it and looked at it. Her face then turned a mixture of sour and despair. "Hey, that's the hankie I gave to Mr. Tum—"

"—Tumnus," the beaver nodded as he finished her sentence. "He got it to me just before they took him."

"Is he all right?"

The beaver looked around before answering her question and leaned in. "Further in," he motioned and took off towards a boulder.

Lucy and Peter started walking with the beaver, following him, until Susan interfered. Her eyes were as huge as before and took off after her siblings grabbing their fur coats to stop them from going any further.

"What are you doing?" She practically screamed at them. Were they out of their right minds?

"She's right," Edmund spoke up, a hint of worry in his tone as he ran to catch up with the rest of them. "How do we know we can trust him?"

Peter just shook his head and shrugged not seeing why they shouldn't. "He said he knows the faun."

Susan shook her head and her eyes grew even bigger as if Peter had just confirmed her point. "He's a beaver. He shouldn't be saying anything!"

"Everything all right?" The beaver asked, popping his head out from behind the boulder.

"Yes," Peter exclaimed swiveling around to face him. "We were just talking."