V : The Tiny Companion

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The Tiny Companion

Upon hearing this news Elizabeth was whisked out of the faun's house and onto Kael outside. Kael was preparing for takeoff while Mr. Tumnus stayed at his door getting ready to close it and lock it. Elizabeth looking over at him widened her eyes in horror and pulled the gryphon back from taking off.

"Mr. Tumnus!" She nearly screamed at him. "What do you think you're doing? Hurry up and come on, you must come back to the camp with us."

Mr. Tumnus looked over to Elizabeth with a look of pain evident on his face even though he tried to hide it with a smile. "I'm sorry Elizabeth, but I certainly cannot."

"W-what? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean Mr. Tumnus," Elizabeth said with an exasperated tone.

"Elizabeth, I cannot go with you. I will only further endanger you if I come."

Elizabeth, not taking no for an answer hoped off of Kael and ran over to her friend. "No, Elizabeth you must come back!" Kael called out to her but she just ignored him. She couldn't let her teacher or her friend stay here only to be found by the witch.

When she made it to the faun she hugged him close to her, begging him to come with them. "If you stay here, she may kill you," Elizabeth said with tears filling her eyes.

Mr. Tumnus hugged her back but knew he had made up his mind and she couldn't convince him. Letting go of Elizabeth he squatted down onto his knees so he could look into her eyes when he talked to her and held her shoulders in his hands. "Elizabeth, listen to me very carefully. When I chose to teach you, I made the decision knowing well that the witch would come after me if she ever found out. That was a risk I was and still am willing to take in order to teach you."

The faun's eyes narrowed as his voice shook slightly and his grip on Elizabeth's shoulders tightened. "Elizabeth, you must understand you cannot come back here," Mr. Tumnus begged the girl. "Even if the witch does not take me today she will start keeping a closer watch on me and it will be too dangerous for you to come back. Please, promise me you won't. You are too valuable to be found by the witch where I can just be replaced."

A tear ran down Elizabeth's face as she listened to Mr. Tumnus. "A teacher can be replaced, but not a friend."

Mr. Tumnus' heart broke at these words. He desperately wanted to return with the two but knew if he did it would only make matters worse. Pulling Elizabeth towards him, he hugged her tight this time and kissed her forehead hoping this wouldn't be the last time they saw each other. "Go, go now," he pushed and he turned her around to Kael.

Unwillingly, she obeyed the faun and got onto Kael who then flew off with Elizabeth on his back. Mr. Tumnus watched them leave until he couldn't see them anymore. He then looked around to make sure no one was watching and then went into his cave, locking the door and hiding everything Elizabeth and he had used in the past twenty-five years together. If the witch came so be it, but he wouldn't give away his friend to her. No matter what the witch would do.