XII : Jadis, Queen of Narnia

Start from the beginning

As soon as the door was opened, a swift cold breeze whipped through the room and blew the candle out. A huge grin crossed Lucy's face because she knew that was the cold Narnian air coming through from the back of the wardrobe. Without a moment to waste she hopped into the wardrobe and made for Narnia. In doing so, she left the door to the wardrobe cracked like she did before so she could find her way back once more.

Meanwhile, Edmund had lost Lucy in the hallway thinking she had gone into the second room where the Pevensie siblings were earlier that day with all the pictures and articles. Not finding Lucy in there, he then went to the last door on the hallway where the wardrobe was. Only by the time he had gotten there, Lucy was already gone.

"Lucy," Edmund called out into the darkness as he scavenged the room. Where on earth did his little sister go to that fast and quietly?

"Where are you?" Edmund taunted as he continued to slowly pace the room, but Lucy wasn't making a sound. This was ridiculous, what child would want to hide in a wardrobe in the middle of the night?

A sly smile spread over Edmund's face as he made his way to the wardrobe. There was only one place Lucy could possibly be. "Boo!" He yelled as he ripped the already cracked door on the wardrobe open.

Instead of finding Lucy inside, he was faced with more confusion. The smile left his face due to the lack of appearance from his sister. This was odd, where else could she be? She must just be further in the wardrobe of course.

"Lucy," he continued to taunt as he climbed into the wardrobe. "Hope you're not afraid of the dark," he smirked as he shut the wardrobe door all the way.

However, instead of getting a response, the wardrobe was silent and a lot colder than Edmund expected. "Lucy?" Edmund asked starting to get more frustrated. As he continued to walk further back into the wardrobe he was greeted with more cold air and what seemed to be a pine tree branch. Edmund pushed the branch out of his way before doing a double take. What was a pine tree branch doing in the back of a wardrobe? Something was clearly out of place.

"Lucy?" Edmund called out again beginning to search more frantically through the coats. "Lucy!" He shouted becoming agitated at the silence he was receiving. Due to his hurry, he tripped over his own feet and fell onto his back into a world of snow and trees. Edmund laid on his back for a few moments just looking up at the sky. What was going on?

He hopped off the ground covered in snow and his breath was greeted with puffs of smoke every time he exhaled. Where on earth was he? Edmund looked all around seeing nothing but trees and snow all around him. Worse, he couldn't see any sign of his little sister anywhere.

"Lucy, where are you?" He called out into the cold, but just as before he received no response.

Why couldn't Lucy just answer him? Edmund sighed as he walked through this snow-covered forest in confusion as well as wonder. Who would have thought there was actually something hidden in the back of the wardrobe? His sister was actually telling the truth, but where could she be? He knew she had to have gone into the wardrobe which meant that she was somewhere hidden wherever he was as well.

"I think I believe you now," He yelled hoping she would finally respond to his version of an apology. Unfortunately for Edmund, it seemed Lucy was not in the mood to accept his apology and remained hidden.

Perhaps she just couldn't hear him and was just far away from him, Edmund concluded as he continued to wander through the forest. As he walked through the snow he came upon a lamppost that was lit even though it was broad daylight in the forest which seemed odd to Edmund. It didn't even seem to be lit with electricity either but by flame. He continued to stare up at the lamp for a moment or two more before continuing his search for Lucy.