13. Welcome to Mirkwood

Start from the beginning

We soon reached the edge of the meadows, as the thick grass gave way to sparse brown dirt, which had little flora at all. The sun was setting as I dismounted, and I stood looking at the forest which Legolas had praised so highly as being his majestic home.

"Is this Mirkwood?" I asked tentatively, eyeing the forest with distrust. It excited me though all the same.

"Yes, although this is the border- it didn't use to be this dead, I had forgotten how bad it had gotten. I haven't been here in a very long time." He said, untacking his loyal steed.

"What are you doing? Is she not coming with us?" I asked, as I placed a hand on her flank, and looked at Legolas. He shook his head sadly.

"She cannot, we must travel on foot, the path is narrow and a horse could easily attract unwanted attention." He said, and I felt a coldness prickly into my heart.

"But don't worry," he added, "we shouldn't find any trouble this near to my father's halls."

He must've read my worried expression, and I nodded in silence, and pressed my forehead against the sleek-furred mare.

"Thank you." I whispered, and she shook her mane and turned tail, galloping back across the meadows. An odd pain spiked in my heart, as I longed to be as free and careless, yet as majestic as her.

We started walking towards the hooded entryway to the forest, when Legolas stopped and turned to me. He took my hand in his, and grasped it between his pale palms.

"Stay alert Erynriel, there are dark forces corrupting this forest, and dangerous creatures lurk under the canopy. Don't let them enter your mind, stay focused. And whatever you do, don't leave the path, for you will never find it again." He said, and I placed my other hand on his, wanting to reassure him I could care for myself.

"I will be fine, Legolas."

"I will make sure of it, I won't let anything happen to you, whether you want my protection or not." He said in seriousness, and I felt a pwang of emotional sensations deep inside me, like a branch snapping back into place after being bent for many years. I smiled, and nodded, as a warmness swept over my cheeks.

The journey was relatively unchallenging, and I struggled to see how anyone could lose the path, but Legolas assured me that people did, and that most of them never escaped. I wondered, after all I had read about Elven magic, why darkness had corrupted this place. It was gloomy, but it didn't feel menacing, it felt safe, yet I knew there were unspeakable creatures lurking, probably not too far away from us. Watching.

A branch snapped.

I whirled around in the direction of the noise, drawing my sword and glaring into the darkness. I could make out a hooded figure, their hand reaching to their quiver. They had not been fast enough.

"Don't." I hissed, determination and adrenaline coursing through me.

Legolas was turned to them too, but he didn't have his bow, and he was frozen in place. I wondered why he had not heard the person approaching. I slowly looked around, to see many more hooded figures had drawn closer, appearing from the shadows.

"Who are you?" I asked, and the initial figure drew further into the gloomy light, and removed her hood. She was a tall elf, and had long brown hair that fell just to her back.

Legolas slowly walked forwards, and immediately the she-elf dropped to one knee.

"My Lord Legolas, my sincerest apologies, I did not know it was you. Daro! Hîr Mirkwood, Legolas." She said, and as if rehearsed, all the other figures bowed deeply, as I sheathed my sword, watching in awe.

Legolas walked over the lady, and smiled at her.

"Maethorhest, you need not bow to me nor apologise, just be wary, my companion is an excelled warrior." He said, friendliness layering his voice.

The lady laughed, and rose to her feet, her companions following suit.

"I can tell, she heard me before you did," she gave him a mischievous grin, "you are getting lax, melon nîn Legolas."

He laughed and dipped his head. Maethorhest came over towards me, and smiled warmly. He kindness and funny nature warranted a genuine smile from me, as she dipped her head to me.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, my name is Maethorhest, Captain of the His Majesty's Guard." She said, and I dipped my head in return.

"Le suilon, Maethorhest. I am Erynriel." I said, and he green eyes sparkled at me, as they widened.

"Your name is beautiful, Erynriel. You will make a fine guard one day; your ear was so quick and your courage is easy for anybody to see. I shall put a word in with the king, if I may?" she said, and I felt honoured at being recognised.

"I would be honoured!" I said, smiling again. She laughed and placed a hand on my hand and Legolas' in hers.

"It is a pleasure to have you both her. We should return, His Majesty will be delighted at your early return and will want to meet your beautiful companion." She said, leading us down a narrow path further into the wood.

I blushed, and Legolas looked and me and smiled, raising one eyebrow in mockery. I shook my head and grinned at the ground, feeling a sense of brightness in my heart. A significant improvement to the gloom that I had felt entering the forest.

My jaw dropped when the gates came into view. They were glorious golden gates, ivy tendrils lacing around them, carved with intricate designs. They were ginormous too, and I imagined heavily armoured and heavy. Legolas leaned down towards me, and grazed his lips near my cheek. I suppressed an awkward shiver, as he whispered in my ear, happiness and eagerness making the whisper rather loud.

"Welcome to Mirkwook."