Chapter Forty-one

Start from the beginning

The Kelltoch pack bulldozed through the hunters missing the snapping teeth of the hybrids, in the hunter's eyes it would look like they were running away from them, but what they didn't know was that they were being herded into their own trap. The tree fighters now seen the whole picture, and sat in wait for word from Jack. Only a few minutes passed before Jack gave the word to kill them all and watched the horror on the hunter's faces when his pack emerged behind the ambush. The people who had fruits left were at the front with the weaker at the back hoping that they didn't sustain too many injuries.

Connor smiled at the sight of the McLeod pack, he knew this was the last thing the hunters expected from them, he just hoped that with them they could kill all the remaining hybrids, he still wasn't convinced that they had enough numbers to take down nine of those beasts. Out of nowhere he saw the black silhouette of a hybrid racing for a group of girls who were successfully taking down a pile of hunters, before he had time to react a shot rang out of nowhere and he heard a loud yelp as the dog fell to the ground and lay motionless 'What the hell?' he whispered before looking up into the trees and laughed. He seen one of Jacks men crouched up in the tree with a rifle 'Nice one!' he grinned suddenly feeling himself again.

Adelaide wasn't doing too bad herself, she had managed to lead some of the weaker girls through the worst of it, at the beginning everyone was going out of their way to protect her but she proved to them and herself that she could look after herself. Every now and again she would notice a yellow tint in Connors eyes that reminded her of the love he had for her. She had already promised herself at least a week in bed when this was all over, her and Connor had a lot of catching up to do.

She stopped in her tracks when a hybrid blocked her path, she stood her ground and was about to pounce when bang went off from above her head and the dog keeled over, she looked at the dogs head and noticed blood pouring out from a gunshot wound. She looked up and grinned as she saw a McLeod werewolf, naked as the day he was born with a rifle in his hands. She didn't know whose idea that was but damn it was a good one. She knew that the more hybrids they killed the more their chances went up.

It wasn't long before the hunters noticed their mistake but it was too late, only two hybrids remained and the hunters were losing badly. The hunters were now fleeing the scene but the wolves wouldn't allow this to happen and were taking them out one by one. After what seemed an eternity, the tree fighters managed to kill all the hybrids and where now using the rifles to take out the hunters, Adelaide thought it rather ironic that they were being killed by their own guns.

Soon all that was left was the stench from all the human blood that had been spilled, unfortunately they had lost two of their men, they had ran out of anti silver serum and the hybrids had claimed them, a pile of them were critical but without medical care they would also die. The stronger wolves carefully carried the injured on their way back and where steadily making their way towards the bus.

They laid the injured on the ground and shifted into their human forms and quickly dressed. Once Adelaide came out of the bus after throwing on Connors t-shirt everyone just stared at her. She started to feel a bit uncomfortable until Connor appeared at her side and held his hand out for her whom she gladly took; he squeezed gently to give her some reassurance.

Jack stepped forward with tears in his eye, "Adelaide, you are even more beautiful than I remember, you look do like your mother" and with that Adelaide let go of Connors hand and ran to her dad that had helped save her and all these other girls. "Did you find the old women that helped us?" Sasha called out looking round, Jack shook his head slowly, he had forgotten about her and how she had risked her own life for both Adelaide and Sasha. "I have to find her!" Sasha said in a panic stepping forward away from the bus. "There's no need" said a hushed voice from the back of the bus; they all looked round to see an old woman carrying a large pot.

Everyone looked at each other in confusement "Let me introduce myself, I am Elizabeth, my daughter was the first one to be kidnapped" she sighed before continuing with her story. "We were a rogue family and sent my daughter out to collect some juniper berries for dinner and she never returned. We tracked her here and I waited behind while my mate went to rescue her. Neither of them ever returned" she sniffed "Ok so if your mate and your daughter were killed by these people, why are you working here!" huffed a rather disappointed Sasha. "I worked hard to get a job here so I could find out exactly what was happening; I couldn't blow my cover until the rightful daughter was found. I thought that if this Alpha was so powerful then maybe he could fix this mess and then I could put my family to rest " she slumped her shoulders before stiffing them again "Oh my! We have work to do!" she said raising the pot she had in her hand.

Connor took the lead "So what's in the pot then?" he asked gruffly still not to sure about this women, "I have a batch of my special serum, it will help the injured" and without further questions she walked over to the hurt and took a sponge out of the bowl. She squeezed some in their mouths and dabbed it on the wounds, before long the serum seemed to be working as the wounds started to close up, some were pushing compacted bullets out of shrinking bullet holes. Some were already starting sit up or at least move more than they did before. There was a new tide of people thanking this woman for her help.

"Since you used to work here, do you know if they had any other large vehicles?" Connor asked feeling slightly sheepish as he suddenly realised that their bus would not hold everyone. "Mmm they have a minibus that they used to go on hunts, it's located outside the East entrance" Jack walked up to Connor "We have work to do" he said slapping Connor on the back. Connor walked up to Adelaide "I want you to take all the girls home" he said kissing her tenderly on her lips, Adelaide smiled as both their eyes started to change colour "Look you have the rest of your lives for that" Colin gagged at his cousin "I want you home as well, Sam will be worried sick!" he winked before pushing Adelaide on the bus "But where are you going?" she whined not wanting to leave without him "I am going with Jack to get the other bus then I will be on my way" and gave her the most loving smile that made her want to drag him in the bus and ravish him there and then.

Connor noticed the sudden change and grinned "I will be home very soon!" and with that he lightly tapped her bum as she walked up the stairs causing a small growl to escape her lips "You better be" she warned in a mock threat. "You two finished?" Colin tutted before herding all the girls into the bus, it was tight but they all managed to squash in.

The rest of them deciding on staying in human form to save ripping their clothes, after all if they are seen driving a bus full of naked men it could cause unnecessary attention to themselves. It was actually not that long of a walk back to the complex without having to fight off dogs and hunters. They had to remind themselves that there may still be people in the building but Jack had a plan.

They located the bus and Connor smashed one of the windows and climbed it and set about hot wiring it. Jack and Alex headed on towards the building telling Connor he would be ten minutes max. They finally managed to start the bus and Connor was relieved to find that it had nearly a full tank of fuel, after pushing about every button on the dashboard Connor finally pushed the one that opened the doors and all the men flooded in to take a seat. All they had to do now was wait for Jack and Alex to return and then they could put this nasty place behind them.

Connor allowed his mind to wonder back to Adelaide and how words could not explain the relief he felt that she was now safely on her way home...to their home!