Chapter 13: The Third Party

Start from the beginning

“So nice of you…" Tom said ironically. "Why did you think that I was going to visit you today?”

 “I read the news.  My creation finally started doing the work.  I watched the records of him in action, a bit blurred, but recognizable.  You are the most intelligent man I know. Naturally you would connect him to me. “

“People are dying on the streets and it’s your fault.”  Tom did not attempt to hide his disgust.

“I really don’t care. I was just following orders.”

“Why does a clever man like you start taking orders from an artificial intelligence?”

“Since I was a child I worked for the better of mankind. I did everything in my power to help people and I am not going to stop.” Cyrus’s tone got lauder.  “I just want us to get to our new home. If someone wants to prevent it from happening I will stop it at all costs.”

“I am disappointed in you.”

Cyrus stared down without saying a word.

Tom continued: “Stacy broke the protocol when she entered the networks. All her actions outside of Ermac’s base perimeter are considered illegal. You helped for the AI to get a physical weapon. Do you understand that situation may get out of control very quickly? Have you not learned in school what happens when AI goes on the rampage?”

“I did learn, Tom.” Cyrus looked amused. “You will understand everything when you meet my creation.”

Tom shook his head in disbelief. “Why are you waiting for your own death? You know I could save you. Why didn’t you come to me?”

“I am not sure if I want to be saved. I lied to a lot of people including my wife.  I am terrible liar and she probably knows the truth.  Besides, Stacy knows better, if I she wants me dead, so be it.”

“You are a lost man Cyrus. Go home and take a break,” Tom said sincerely, “Why do you think she would kill you? You are one of her greatest assets.”

“The weapon, as you called it, is active. I know that Stacy wants to tie all the loose ends. She’s good at hiding and working in shadows.”

“Did she at least tell you why she needed a weapon and who was the threat?”

“No. I never asked. Why should I? She only told me that she considered you incompetent in solving ‘complex’ problems.”

Tom turned his head away. “Damn you Cyrus, for being so naïve.”

“Tom, I’m expendable, and frankly, I have accepted it long time ago.”

“You are wrong. They are going to kill you not because you helped her, but because you can reconstruct reconditioning devices the fastest. She does not think like us, humans. She owes nothing to you. Now you are just another inconvenience in her path who knows too much in the science field she is willing to destroy. It was she who initiated the explosion at the reconditioning facility.

“Do you think her way is the best? Stacy will destroy half of the ship before she gets The Outsider. Wake up!”

“Who is the Outsider?”

“Please, Cyrus, shut your mouth. You didn't care before and you shouldn't start caring now. Let us leave. I know a safe place for you.” 

“I do not feel like it, but—“

Cyrus was interrupted by an explosion. All windows shattered, the outer wall crumbled and cold dusty wind breezed into the room. Tom lifted a hand to cover his eyes from the dust.  The buzzing sound of cabs’ engines got closer.

Tom quickly moved towards Cyrus and slapped him in the chin. Cyrus fell to the ground unconscious.  Tom pushed the desk in such an angle that it would hide the scientist and walked to the middle of the room.

Slowly, a figure of a man in grey hooded cape emerged from below. The man stood on the roof of the cab, his right arm resting on a huge weapon hanging on a sling, eyes shining in deep green. The cab adjusted its position so the unexpected visitor could easily step into the room whenever he felt to.  

“I did not come here for you.” The man’s voice was cold and harsh. He removed the hood covering the face.

The identity of the visitor shocked Tom. It was Ermac. But it was not the old man he knew. This person in front of him was in his early twenties, a perfect younger copy of Tom’s friend.  He man was bold and had a long chin, which paired well with his pointy nose. Malicious aura surrounded him. 

So, this was the substitute Stacy was preparing. Tom was ready for action.