Most of my training was irrelevant with this zombie. It could climb trees. A Swift was fast, and didn't tire. Diane could move faster than a Swift for some time, but even she tired. A Swift never grew tired. They were dangerous, pure and simple. I still couldn't believe that Diane had tied this one up for Ninette when it had started chasing her on her midnight run.

Diane was mostly focused on the Swift now that I was closer to her. She glanced at Ninette, "I tied it up, but getting a blood sample from it is your problem."

Ninette scratched her head as she nervously examined the snarling man from a distance, "Is there any chance of me convincing either of you two to wrestle that thing down for me to get a blood sample?"

Diane snorted and shook her head. Don's jaw dropped as a look of utter disbelief and horror crossed his face. My eyes grew wide at the thought of simply taking a few steps closer. She had better not look at me...

Ninette sighed in disappointment, "I kind of assumed that. I will have to think about it carefully. Diane, could you possibly help me test his reactions from a distance? I just want to see how fast it can move and if it gets loose you are the best qualified person to lure it away."

Diane made a face, but heard out what Ninette wanted. It was similar to what I had done with the Swift in the barn. Mostly moving to the side to see how fast it could react. Ninette took notes, although I noticed that both Ninette and Don were very nervous around this zombie. Don's eyes were a bit brighter with apprehension.

I didn't blame them, fear was the only proper reaction around such a creature. How Diane wasn't bothered by its presence was beyond me. She was very alert, but not scared in the least. It could have been an average zombie for the amount of concern she was showing.

Diane also rubbed her hands on a stick before lightly tossing it at the zombie. The zombie caught it midair. Its reflexes sent shivers down my back as I remained near the base of tree. If the red-eyed zombie somehow got loose, I was climbing. Chances were that it would follow one of the others. Even if it did start to climb, I knew it wouldn't get far before Diane came after it.

Before long, Ninette's nerves had had enough and we retreated back down the trail. The horses were more than happy to leave the area. Then again, so was I. I had a bad feeling about leaving a Swift tethered to a tree like a dog on a chain, even that far out in the forest. Swifts were dangerous. All of my training had emphasized that.

It took us three hours to return to the lab. I hadn't ever really realized just how far away Diane could run at night. I thought she usually remained closer to the palisade. I had never been so happy to pass through a gate and go inside of a fence.

We unsaddled the horses and Ninette went off to the lab. Diane led me to the playground where several kids were playing. She had always thought it was important that I play with other kids on a regular basis. I didn't understand her reasoning, but I didn't question her.

Diane would often run laps around the inside of the fence while passing by each time, although sometimes she allowed us to drag her into a game of tag. That was always fun. We would all gang up on her and try to catch her.

Diane never went easy on us in that particular game and that was why it was so fun. She pulled out all the stops as she would climb, jump, cartwheel, do backflips, and pull other acrobatic stunts to avoid us as opposed to just running like other adults did.

Even with eight of us chasing her around that playground, we rarely managed to catch her. No child ever gave up though, since watching Diane's evasive maneuvers was better than any tv show ever invented.