Chapter Twenty- Nine

After being on guard and watching everything carefully, I noticed how easy it was for Lena to remain unnoticed. She was quiet and made sure to be kind to everyone, but I was soon able to see through her false personality.

As soon as their back was to Lena, her smile dropped and she looked overly annoyed to be speaking to someone.

No one seemed to want to go to bed as the moon became the only light, but I stayed up, waiting for Lena to mess up and be alone.

This was easier than watching her daily routine, because she lit a torch and headed into the forest, after making sure everyone was asleep.

I took this moment to follow her and as I did, I clung to the potion Ezra had made me.

I needed to be as quiet as possible, not wanting to get her attention, so I slowly walked, following the scent of her tainted blood and the light from her torch.

After hearing the snap of a twig behind me, I froze and stopped moving, looking for movement or another sound, but after a few moments of nothing, I continued on, stopping at a tree when I saw her move the fire from her torch to a large pile of wood.

She then began throwing ingredients into the fire, chanting singular words that I could not make out. What was she planning?

She stopped and looked around "Whoever is out there, show yourself!"

I slowly stepped forward "I do not mean to frighten you, Lena. It is Cordelia"

She gave a small smile "W-What are you doing out here so late?"

I walked up towards the fire, making sure to keep a decent distance from her "I was out hunting, what are you doing up so late?"

She cleared her throat "I am performing a simple location spell to try and find the witch responsible for these deaths"

"While I was out hunting, I discovered that my gift had grown stronger"

Lena immediately stopped what she was doing and turned to face me "Did you bring someone to life?"

"No, but I think that I may know how to?" I replied, trying my best to lie, but knowing that everything I was saying was only being said to get a rise out of her and to watch her responses.

Her eyes lit up with excitement "Well, how do you achieve it?"

"I am not ready to reveal the details quite yet"

She shook her head "Come on, Cordelia, you can tell me. Tell me"

I could see that she was really pushing for it, but I wanted her to get angry and slip up somehow. I needed more than annoyance from her.

She grabbed my arm "Tell me now, Cordelia"

"Why should I?" I asked.

Lena rolled her eyes "I have protected you! That is why! I fixed the disgusting scars on your face so that others could finally look at you directly! You. Owe. Me" she said, making sure to stretch out the final three words.

I pulled my arm away and stepped back, using my telekinesis to throw her away from the fire, making her land on her stomach "Your desperation has shown your true colors, Lena. I know that you are the witch behind all of this!"

Lena stood up and instead of any reasonable response, she just smiled "I have been working with the P'yushchego Vampirov for some time now, so excuse the fact that I am more than amused that it took this long for someone to discover it"

"Why would you work with them?" I asked, trying to stay confident during this.

"I supplied them with potions that would harm vampires"