Chapter Ten

It had been nearly three days since Tobias and I had executed the plan to get close to certain witches in the elements. It seemed to work out well, because someone who was close to Tinsley was in each element. We did not assume that she was responsible, but it made it possible to see if anyone was making a threat towards the most powerful witch in the coven.

"So I believe we can take Ezra off of our list of potential enemies" Louis whispered, as we walked away from him.

I looked back at the two "Why only him?"

"Have you met him yet? He is absolutely obsessed with helping people and saving lives. If he were not a witch, I would think he was some world-known doctor or something similar"

I shook my head "Sometimes innocence such as that is only a cover-up. No one is removed from the list, Louis"

He shrugged "I am only trying, but if he turns out to be the big bad then I will be disappointed"

"I am sure the entire coven will be as well" I said.

Tinsley walked towards, us, looking unhappy "Cordelia, I need to speak with you"

I nodded "Of course"

"I will just be waiting by the river for you" Louis said, walking away.

I turned to Tinsley "What seems to be the problem?"

"You are interrogating my coven and I do not approve"

"Excuse me?" I asked.

She shook her head "Do not play ignorant with me. I have been watching you all the past few days and I am well aware that you are separating into groups so that you can all cover the coven and shut down some suspicions"

"We are not trying to come off as rude regarding that" I said, knowing that denying it would only make me look worse.

She sighed "Cordelia, I get that you are just trying to protect your coalition, but this coven deserves protection too. I do not mind you all getting information to silence your concerns, but please do not act so suspicious while doing it. It is concerning some of the other witches, my sister included and it would just be so much easier if we all quit sneaking around as if something is wrong"

I nodded "I apologize"

"Now if you will excuse me, I have to go settle down Nellie, who is worried that your entire group is conspiring"

I watched her leave and walked towards Louis "Our cover has been discovered"

"She knows that we have been singling out the witches by element?"

I nodded "Yes and though she does not have a problem with us doing what is needed, we are all just concerning the coven and she is having to help Nellie with her paranoid thoughts"

"Nellie seems to have that problem quite a bit though. Last night, when I was doing my nightly patrol, I found her sitting by the river crying as she placed daisies in the water" he said, shaking his head.

"I believe that if Florence had not harnessed her gift of empathy then she may have the same problems that Nellie has" I replied.

He started walking in front of me, as we went down our usual morning trail. It had become the normal to walk together in the morning. He knew that I needed the distance from others and this way he would be able to patrol, while also keeping an eye on me.

He placed his arm out in front of me "Do not move"

"Why?" I asked, worried by his now off behavior.