Thirteen - Quadruple Murder

Thirteen – Quadruple Murder

Rayne was bored so she decided to go to WebMD and search about Dre's symptoms before dinner. When she went to the Symptom Checker and selected what pertained to him she saw Depression and Insomnia as the main choices.

Depression is a painful sadness or down mood that interferes with a child's schoolwork, family life, and social activities. Many kids feel down for short periods, but depression lasts weeks, months, or years. Symptoms can be hopelessness, guilt, irritability, and lack of interest in usual activities. Life events such as divorce can trigger depression in children and adolescents. The illness can run in families, but kids with no family history also become depressed. Often there is no clear cause. Depression is a common but serious illness that usually doesn't go away without treatment. Counseling and/or antidepressant medication can treat depression in most children.

Insomnia is the inability to get to sleep or stay asleep during the night. Anyone at any age can experience insomnia. Drinking alcohol or caffeine, stress, medications, an uncomfortable sleep environment, and changes in work schedules can lead to short-term insomnia. Chronic insomnia often results from mental health problems and can be a sign of depression. Most of the time, keeping a regular sleep schedule and not consuming caffeine before bed, can help the problem. Treating underlying medical conditions can also improve sleep.

"Ma how long before dinner's ready?" She yelled from the couch.

"A few minutes."

Ray pulled out her phone and dialed Dre's number.

"Wassup?"

"Nothing I was just bored on the computer and I wanted to ask you a question."

"Iight what is it?"

"When's the last time you slept?" She asked. It took him a minute to answer.

"Why?"

"Just asking..."

"...A few days." Ray shook her head at his answer. "It's not that big of a deal Ray, I'm fine. I got a headache now, though."

"You mean a migraine?"

"Same thing,"

"No it's not."

"I thought you were a writer Ray, not a doctor." She rolled her eyes. "Why the sudden interest anyways?"

"It's not sudden, I just went online and was searching stuff and I saw—"

"You went online to see what was going on with me? Really?"

"Google is very powerful Deandre and there might not even be anything wrong with you, I just did it because I was bored."

"That's nice Rayne, thanks for your insight."

"You're welcome sarcastic." She said. "Can't you just let me tell you what came up?"

"What came up for what Ray?" He said getting more irritated.

"I selected your symptoms and some stuff came up. I have experience with one of these too."

"Fine go 'head,"

"Depression and Insomnia."

The line went silent for a few moments. "What experience do you have with Depression?"

"Someone in my family has it. It pertains to you Dre just listen." She began to summarize what the website said while he sat there and listened. "Did you hear me?"

"Yeah I heard you, still don't know what this has to do with me."

"Rima told me you felt guilty about something—"