Chapter 17: Phone Call

Once they reached their room, Rachel noticed them and her jaw dropped.
"Hey Mason and you." Rachel stated as she gave Ella a dirty look.
"Rachel I know you are mad at me, and I can't blame you for it. Everyone is angry with me. Some are even afraid. But we need to tell you something. Mason has to say with us for a night."
"Why?" Rachel asked with a concerned look on her face.
"We will explain." Mason told Rachel as the three went over the Ella's bed and sat down. Then the two told Rachel about everything that has happened.
Meanwhile, Mr. Trevor was on the phone with Detective Judy.
"Hello Detective. Was there something you wanted to tell me in private?" He asked.
"Yes. That girl who was with us earlier, Ella, has she always been like that?"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, acting all weird and suspicious. Has she always acted like that?"
"No. Ella began to act like this around November."
"Is there any reason why, that you would know of?" Judy asked.
"The only major event that affects her in November is her birthday."
"When is her birthday?" She asked.
"November 4th. But every night on the third, she usually like to go outside and sit by this tree and think about her parents."
"What happened to her parents?" Judy asked.
"Well, the night before her birthday, her parents, Samantha and Marty Edgehound, went..." Mr. Trevor began to say but was cut off by the detective.
"Oh, so she's the Edgehound kid."
"Why, yes. How did you know?" He asked.
"Everyone in my family is on the police force, and my brother's first case was the edgehound case."
"What a coincidence! Is his name Max? He brought Ella here after calling me at the station."
"Yes. But sadly, he is no longer with us." Judy stated in a depressing tone.
"What happened?" Mr. Trevor asked in shocked.
"Well he was actually on his way back from the orphanage, and a deer ran out right in front of him. At least, that's what they thought..." Judy stated.
"What do you mean?"
"When the police arrived, his car was completely smashed in the front, we first thought it could have been a deer, but there was no deer or blood insight. They tried to save him, but they were too late."
"I'm so sorry." Mr. Trevor stated.
"It's okay, it wasn't like it was your or any of the kids' fau..." Detective Judy began to stated but stopped, for something has popped in her head.
"Detective?" Mr. Trevor asked in a puzzled tone.
"Sorry sir, I completely forgot about a meeting I have to go to."
"That's quite alright. I will see you tomorrow morning. Goodbye."
"Goodbye." Judy concluded. She hung up the phone. "Could she be the cause of death to Max?" The detective asked herself.
"No. That's not possible for a 10 year old to cause that big of a disaster...right?"
Meanwhile, Owen was roaming around the orphanage, when he stumbled upon Mr. Trevor's phone call with Detective Judy.
He was listening to every single word the said. Then when Judy paused, he wanted to figure out why, so he appeared in Judy's office to see what was going on.
The detective had a perplexed expression on her face. She said she had a meeting to go to and said goodbye. Judy hung up the phone. "Could she be the cause of death to Max?" The detective asked herself. "No. That's not possible for a 10 year old to cause that big of a disaster...right?"
"Why is she thinking Ella is the killer here? She can't go on thinking like this. Something has to happen, but it can't be proven that Ella is to blame..." Owen thought for a moment. "I got it!" Owen concluded as he ran right through Judy.
Judy froze in the doorway of her office for only a moment, putting her hand where her heart is. She felt a sharp pain in her chest. "Ouch!" She stated. "Maybe it's just heartburn." Judy told herself and walked out of her office.
"Yeah! 'Maybe it is just heartburn.'" Owen laughed and left the police station.