Chapter 2

Flashback to Age 14

"Cam! Psst! Cam!" My eyes slowly open and I'm so tired that I'm not even sure what's going on or if any of it is actually happening.

There's a knock somewhere and then the voice again, "At your right, Cam."

My eyebrows pull together and my vision's still blurry with sleep. I turn my head around and the voice sighs, "Your other right."

I slowly push myself up and stumble over towards her voice. I stand there in front of my bedroom window for a while, rubbing at my eyes, and she patiently waits as I wake myself up. When my vision's cleared, I look up to see Skylar sitting on the other side of the transparent glass, the knuckles of her left hand leaning against it. She grins up at me as I unlatch the window and slide it open. I move to the side, allowing her space to enter.

"Hey, Cam!" She says as she dusts herself off and throws her backpack onto the bed.

"What time is it?" I ask, walking over to the bathroom.

"5... 6... 7... I don't know, honestly. Doesn't matter anyway." She says from outside the bathroom door, "You done?"

"Yup." I zip up my pants and walk over to the sink to wash my face. Skylar walks in and hops onto the counter next to me.

"So what's on today's agenda?" I ask. This was life with Skylar Castellan. She'd show up at my window at weird hours - early in the morning, late at night, or even in the middle of the night. She used to do the same during the day, but my mom didn't want her getting hurt or anything and told her that the front door would be safer. At least that's what she said. But we both knew it freaked her out to know that Sky could be in my room without her knowing.

Sky and I have been friends since we were 4 and since you know, her being my only friend and all, my parents knew and liked her. After we met, Sky and I hung out at the park a lot. My mom was sort of skeptical about our friendship at first because she never met Sky's parents, but Sky wasn't like the other children. She was polite and had manners and was always saying something interesting. She had even taught me how to sing the alphabet. It's because of this that my mom had tried to overlook the whole parent thing. When Sky had told her that her parents were barely home, my mom completely understood and dropped the whole ordeal. She then had allowed us to hang out daily, even inviting her over to our house for meals and such. By the time we started elementary together, Sky just started inviting herself over.

My parents, however, began to worry when we reached junior high and we still only hung out with each other. Skylar was sort of a weird kid growing up with her interest in fiction and adventure and all that, so she sort of scared people away. I think my parents thought it was unhealthy or something for us to communicate with no one but each other. So to get them off my backs, I joined a couple sports. Sky decided to do the same and joined football, and she was really good at it too, but she quit after the first game. I think my parents were even worried because we were entering our teen years... and well, you know... boys and girls... hormones... all those other things they talk about in sex-ed. I couldn't convince them enough times that our relationship was strictly limited to just being friends.

Anyway, the whole joining sports thing actually did benefit me socially wise. I befriended everyone on the teams and people actually started noticing me. I even get invited to things now and I know it's a pretty pathetic thing to get excited over, but holy shit. People invite me now because they want to, not like in elementary when they were forced to invite the whole class by their parents. Despite this, Sky and I still spend a lot of time together. Like so much time, it's not even that different from how much time we spent together in grade school. The whole having plans with other people thing doesn't bother her because she still goes off doing her own thing and having her own "adventures" anyway. And there's this. Her popping up in my bedroom and taking me to wherever she feels like going.