15. A Mind Of Its Own

Start from the beginning

Her index finger traced over the new addition. It definitely hadn't been there before.

"Locked out?" a familiar voice asked.

She jumped. The book thumped against the damp earth, cushioned beneath broken strands of grass. Jagged spikes of ice erupted around her feet, surging forward toward the intruder.

The person in front of her simply waved a hand, an eyebrow arched, and the spikes shattered.

Ravenna's vision focused. She exhaled sharply and leaned back against the tree behind her. "You should know better than to startle me," she snapped at the dragon.
He watched her with unamused eyes. "You will kill someone if you aren't careful," he said.

She couldn't bring herself to respond. Instead, she focused on the book. She carefully reached out and plucked it from the ground, wiping blades of grass from its form. Her fingers traced over the metal clasp and her lips pursed.

"Why did you come out here?" she asked the dragon.

"I already answered that question," he said. "I've decided to step in and help you, since you seem inadequate to find the answer for yourself."

Ravenna scowled. "You didn't seem to care if I found the answer before," she accused. "Why now?"

The dragon's gaze lifted and he stared through the slivers of space between the tree branches, in the direction of the town. "I am quite fond of the people in this town," the dragon answered. His words shocked Ravenna, as the sentiment somewhat out of character for the detached dragon. His gaze slowly returned to her and hardened. "I do not wish to see them destroyed."

Her cheeks flushed with anger. "I wouldn't harm a soul in this town," she snapped. "Everybody has been incredibly nice to me ever since I arrived."

The dragon didn't seem to believe her. His narrowed gaze traveled down the length of her body, making her cheeks burn hotter. He nodded toward the book. "Are you going to open it?"

Ravenna's attention snapped to the book in her hands. The clasp had vanished. The book freely fell open within her hands, the smell of aged paper and dried ink kissing the air. "Where did it go?" she asked, incredulous.

"I have no idea," the dragon answered.

"This is what the bookkeeper meant," Ravenna realized. She skimmed through the first few pages, fingers pressed against the yellowed paper. "The book locks itself, doesn't it? Whenever it doesn't want to be viewed?"

The dragon seemed to ponder her words. "Somewhat. You are correct in your last assumption. The book decides when and to whom it will allow itself to be viewed. Though there was more to be headed from the old man's advice. As the bookkeeper said earlier, ancient spell-books have a mind of their own and can be uncontrollable. Some are even self-aware enough to perform magic and spells on their own."

Ravenna's eyes widened. "Should I be concerned that this book might turn me into a frog?"

Amusement shimmered within the dragon's eyes. "I doubt it would turn you into an amphibian. A reptile, possibly. Or a chicken. I think you'd make a great chicken."

"I don't find you funny," Ravenna grouched.

"I would just be hesitant upon reading its contents in large quantities. A book this old is extremely unpredictable. There is no way to tell how it will react to you, or how it might affect you. Even I must exercise caution upon opening it," the dragon warned.

She nodded. "But you think an awareness spell is in here, right?"

The dragon heaved a sigh. "If such a spell were to exist, it would most likely be in that book. Though I will point out, this exercise was not meant to be solved through magic. I attempted to tell you this multiple times though you were too focused on your decision to notice the hints."

Ravenna frowned. "How was it meant to be solved then, if not by magic?"

He shook his head at her. The expression on his face was unreadable. "That is not an easily answered question. Becoming more observant is a laborious task. It requires a mixture of hard work and focus, and some basic meditation. I would have taught you, had you not decided so quickly that magic was the answer."

Ravenna scowled. "That doesn't make sense," she snapped and climbed to her feet. "Why didn't you tell me all this before?" What was the point in letting me believe that magic was the answer?"

"How exactly would you manage to learn anything if I simply gave you all the answers outright?" the dragon retorted.

Her cheeks burned. Ravenna clutched the spell-book to her chest and glowered at the ground. The metallic clasp pressed against the skin on her arms, it's cold presence once again holding the book shut. "Why did you tell me this now?" she asked quietly. "You could have just let me continue blindly searching for a spell that might not exist."

His head quirked to the side. The action seemed almost more animal than human. "Because I don't want you to read that spell-book unless you are sure it is absolutely necessary."

Her brows furrowed. "Then why did you even bring it to me? Why did you even give me the option?"

The dragon's expression darkened. "The book was brought here because it needs to be hidden. Someone is after it. Despite the instability within your powers, I feel that you are emotionally unstable enough to unconsciously protect it, should you be attacked. And you are not one of the stronger, well known magic users in this area. So, if the person who is searching for it comes here, they will not expect it to be in your possession."

Ravenna felt even more confused. "Wouldn't it be easier to hide at the cottage?"

"The cottage has been compromised," the dragon said. His expression turned sour. "It no longer exists. We will now live in my second home, here within the village."

She blinked. "We?"