Chapter 5

Present Day

Luke and her had loaded up the kids into Luke's van. Then Luke drove them to the diner. When they pulled in, they quickly unbuckled the kids and headed inside. They sat down in their usual place, the only table big enough for all of them, and they were just about to order when Uncle came out from the back of the diner.

"Sang! I had heard that my favorite daughter and grandkids were here," Uncle said as he came towards their table.

"Nice to see you too, Uncle," Luke chimed in, grinning at him. Uncle reached over and ruffled Luke's hair.

"I just saw you last night, young man. I have not seen this pretty lady and her handsome lads in a week!"

"Sorry, Uncle. It has been a busy week," Sang replied as Uncle grabbed a chair and pulled it up to the table. He sat in between Jacob and Josh, both of who instantly started talking to him at the same time. Uncle laughed as he tried to keep up with the conversation. While he was distracted, Luke turned to her.

"He really did miss you guys this week. I think part of it was that he wanted you to meet his new 'friend'."

"Lucian Taylor, you know good and well that was not the reason I had missed them. I have missed my little taste testers. How will I know if my new desserts are good if I do not get their approval first," Uncle asked him. He turned and winked at the boys. "I will bring out my new dessert after you guys eat your lunch."

"Uncle, you do not have to do that," Sang told him, knowing it would not do any good. She was right.

"Now now, what kind of grandpa would I be if I did not spoil my grandkids?"

With that, he got up from the table, but not until after promising Josh that he could come back into the kitchen with him after Josh had ate all his food.

Luke grinned at her, with a sparkle in his eye.

"What is that look for," she asked him.

"Now North will have someone else to blame when he finds out just how much sugar the kids have had today."

She let out a giggle, "You know as well as I do that he will still blame you."

After ordering their food, they made small talk as the kids played and colored with the crayons that the diner offered to kids. When the food arrived, they began to eat. All the kids had wanted chicken nuggets with fries. Luke had ordered a large burger and fries, while she had ordered a chicken salad.

When Josh had ate all his food, Uncle came back for him and took him into the kitchen with him. Shortly after that, they brought out desert. It was a three layered chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting. Uncle liked to experiment with desserts. He would take random recipes and add in his own secrets ingredients, never telling anyone what he had put in, or taken out, of the recipe.

After giving each one a slice, he sat back into his chair and watched them eat. The kids loved it, as did Luke. Sang like it, but it was not her favorite. Uncle beamed in pride at the kids reactions.

After promising Uncle that she would be back soon, with Jacob and Sammy with her, Luke and her loaded the kids back into the van and headed to her house. On the way, her mind drifted to when she had first meet Uncle.