Chapter 1

Present Day

"Jacob Christopher Sorenson! You had better be out that door in 2 minutes or we are leaving you behind," Sang yelled through the opened passenger side window. She sat back in the seat, buckled up, and started the van. Like usual, it took three tries before it started. A second later a clicking noise came from the front of the van.

She put her head down onto the wheel and muttered, "Damn it."

"That is a bad word, Mommy," Sammy said.

Sang sighed, before she sat back up and turned to look into the back of the van.

"That is a dollar in the jar, Momma!"

Sammy, who was 6, gave her a big grin. Next to him was Josh, who was 5. He too, grinned at her. On the other side of Josh, was 4 year old Colby, who was too busy talking to his dinosaurs to agree with them. She glanced at the twins, Tyler and Dylan, who were going to be turning 3 in a couple of weeks. They, too, were busy playing and talking to each other. She gave Sammy and Josh a big grin and pulled out a dollar and put it into the jar that was sitting in the cup holder. They laughed and clapped, making her smile bigger. That caused the other three to join in.

She looked back at the kids, smiling great big at each of them. They grinned back at her. Her babies. She turned around and lost her smile.

How could someone just give these babies away? I can not imagine my life without them.

Her mind filled with the memory of that day, the day she got her Sammy.

********************

She had finally caught up to a wet and naked Jacob who was determined not to be dressed, when there was a knock at the door. She gave him a quick kiss on his head before getting up from the living room floor. She walked to the front door and looked through the blinds and she froze.

Marie was standing there, looking a little worse than she had over a year ago. She looked even skinnier, if that was even possible.

Was she here to take Jacob back? Over my dead body was she getting her hands on my baby!

"Ma, who at da door," Jacob asked as he crawled toward her.

She quickly dropped the blinds before turning to him and picking him up.

"Just a minute," she called out, knowing Marie could hear her.

Maybe she will be gone by the time I get back. One can only wish.

"Ok, little man. Let's get you dressed and I will start your favorite cartoon," she said as she laid Jacob onto the bed and began putting his pjs on.

He seemed to know something was up, because for once he did not fight her. After she got him dressed, she turned the small tv on and pushed play on the DVD player. As the show started, she told him to stay in the bedroom and that she would be right back. She kissed his head once more before moving to the bedroom door and shutting it behind her.

She took a deep breath. She could do this.

She has no rights to Jacob. She can not take him from me.

In the year since having Jacob, she had finally found what had been missing in her life. A family. Even though Marie's mother had treated Sang as one of her own, she had still felt like an outcast, the black sheep of the family. She had loved her step-mom and was grateful for the way she had treated her, but in the back of her mind she had always wanted her own family. One with a mom and dad that loved her just because, not because they either had to tolerate her or just had to accept her. When she got Jacob, she finally got the family she had wanted. It might not have been the exact thing that she had wanted, but to her it was even better. She was the mom that she had always wanted to have and Jacob was her pride and joy. She loved him more than she had thought possible.