The gypsy was partially right; he was one of the only people that could stop her if things got temperamental. Remembering a time not too long ago when a prince from a neighboring kingdom made a visit to Orakrest. It seemed everything would have gone smoothly if it wasn’t for the prince’s royal guards angering her. They taunted about why a powerful king would choose such a pathetic excuse for a blade’s apprentice, like her. If Kenji hadn’t calmed her down it would have been an ugly political mess.

He knew how Leiv felt about others doubting her ability to do a job. It wasn’t the first time that Kenji had to step in and help calm things down. There were many instances before solidifying a reputation that people would continuously test the boundaries. It was a hard couple of years in the beginning when blade training had started; not one day went by without a casualty.

When things turned for the worst, his calm spirit had always soothed everything. It also helped being one of the only people brave enough to hug her; most were either terrified or uneasy that they stayed far enough away.

The fear in his eyes never left; the axe swung a second time only missing by an inch. She scrambled and darted to the right, ducking the next swing.

“Stop Kenji!” She said, while continuously evading him.

To run and yell simultaneously took every ounce of energy, but it only managed to intensify his anger. The once docile features now contorted into a rage-filled emotion that even Leiv couldn’t recognize.

Kenji lunged forward, swinging the axe sideways cutting open a piece of her cloak. His eyes narrowed; mouth set in a grim line. “Get off my land before I kill you!” He yelled.

Before another attack was managed, she grabbed and lowered the cloak’s hood. He stopped dead in his tracks and eyed her; each arm dropping down as the axe fell from his hand. He didn’t move. He didn’t breathe. Time stood still for them both, and in that moment the only thing that made a sound was the thud of a weapon hitting the ground. Kenji’s eyes transformed from cold to soft in a matter of seconds, muscles on his shoulders relaxed and the murderous mask was stripped away.

He exhaled. “Leiv.”

Slowly stepping closer, she stopped in front of him and waited for Kenji to make a move. Their gazes never faltered as she looked into the swirling brown of his irises. A tear escaped his eye right before opening his arms and pulling her close. The sobs broke her heart as he clung onto her, unable to let go. Tears streamed down his face, landing on her shoulder; rubbing his back as she tried to soothe him.

‘Is there anything we do?’ She asked Rin.

‘I’m afraid there is nothing that can be done that he can’t do himself,’ he replied. ‘Something has happened to him that made this way.’

Both stood there for a while until Leiv stepped back gently, wiping the tears away and removed the hair that covered his face as she gazed at the torn expression he held. Something was definitely eating away at Kenji’s soul. Going into his spirit was not an option; it was too personal. Instead going about it like it would have been done in the past.

“What happened to you?” She asked.

“What happened to me?” Pointing to him. “What happened to you?” Kenji practically yelled the last part, but apologized after seeing her shocked face.

“No, it’s fine, I understand,” She said. “All this time I thought I had been gone four months, but yesterday I learned it had only been four days. What occurred these past few days that have gotten you so worked up? I have never seen you like this before in my life.”