Muffled Cries

The car was sinking. Water was rushing in through the windows. Nico used all his strength to roll up the window with the lever in his old car.

Amora. Nico

Nico. Amora, I'm sorry , I'm sorry
He said said trying to pull his door open.

Nico. Listen, I'm going to kick the window open okay.   A bunch of water is going to rush in. You have to be ready to swim okay, don't think just do, no matter what happens get to the surface.

Amora. Nico, I L..

Nico. No! I'm not losing you don't you dare say goodbye
He turned away from her and kicked the door window open.

Nico. Hold your breath
He said as the car was filling up with water. He swam out of the window first and reached back to grab Amora's hand to pull her out. Together they swam a long way up to the surface. Nico wasn't in Amora's sight he wanted her ahead of him so that he made sure she made it safety .

She was starting to lose her breath and she swam faster  and she finally got to the surface and took in a deep breath. She waited a minute expecting Nico to be behind her but it was taking too long and he wasn't coming up out of the water after her.

Amora. Nico!
She called and looked around. She looked toward the shore land and she looked around in the water. She swam back down and didn't see him.

Amora. How! How did we get separated!??
She stared freaking out.

Amora. Nico!
She yelled again. She was starting to get chills. She was freezing in that water and she had to get out before she froze to death. She swam to land hoping to see Nico there but she got there and no Nico.

Amora. No, no, no, no
She said to herself.

Amora. God no
She said pulling her hair. She ran into the woods to try and find help. She saw a clearing and ran out almost getting hit by a car. She was now standing on the side of a freeway.

She walked along side the freeway looking for a phone not knowing what to do. Should she go back? What if Nico was there now? What if it just took him a little longer to come to he surface? What if he was looking for her right now and freaking out like she was freaking out. But no? He couldn't have held his breath that long she had been standing there for ten minutes not including the time she spent looking in the water.

There was no way she made it out and he drowned down there. She almost threw up thinking of Nico's lifeless body floating in the water. No, no, he's taken bullets to the chest, he's faced larger threats than a body of water. He's okay. He has to be. He is probably wondering where she was right now. What if he got to the surface before her and went looking for her? He's not dead, lost, but anything but dead.

She finally found a little diner and made her way inside. She immediately found a phone ignoring all the eyes on her. Her hair was a mess her clothes were wet and torn from the trees in the woods.

Amora. Lorenzo

Lorenzo. Hello? Amora? Are you okay?

Amora. I lost him

Lorenzo. What? Where are you?

Amora. I'm at a diner by a freeway I don't really know where I am

Lorenzo. Let me speak to a manager or someone who works there

Without saying another word Amora handed the phone to one of the workers, she could hear the woman giving Lorenzo an address. Then the worker handed the phone back to her.

Amora. Hello

Lorenzo. Stay where you are okay? I'm coming to get you

Amora. Okay
She hung up the phone and sat at one of the booths by herself.

Waitress. Are you okay Miss? Can I get you anything?

Amora. I'm... okay

Waitress. Just let me know

She didn't know how long she waited at that diner. If Nico was alive he was long gone looking for her. It would kill her inside not knowing wether he was out there looking for her or if he was floating helplessly in the water.  Somebody had run into the diner and it was Lorenzo.

Lorenzo. Amora? you look terrible what the fuck happened?

Amora. I lost him Lorenzo

Lorenzo. You lost Nico? How?
He said taking a seat next to her and throwing his coat around her shoulder.

Amora. The car it crashed into a lake and Him and I we were supposed to swim to the surface together and he disappeared. I looked everywhere Lorenzo, I couldn't find him, we have to go back, we have to see, if he's there

Lorenzo. Okay, come on, take me to where it happened.

They got in the car and they made it back to the Lake it was as empty as it was when she had left it.

Amora. I can't think he's dead

Lorenzo. How long did you wait?

Amora. I don't know over twenty minutes

Lorenzo. Shit
He said silently.

Lorenzo. Amora... I..

Amora. Don't be, he's okay

Lorenzo. By the way it sounds when you describe it to me, it sounds like he was trying to make sure you made it or maybe he went back to the car to get something, maybe he didn't get enough air when he opened the window. But he wasn't in your sight and you were in front of him the entire time.

Amora. No Lorenzo

Lorenzo. Shit
He said putting his head down on the steering wheel.

Lorenzo. Got damnit! If it would have stayed this would have never happened
He said punching the steering wheel.

Lorenzo. Fuck!!
He said screaming and getting out of the car slamming the door behind him.

A tear slipped Amora's cheek. Looking at the lake imagining his body swaying with the waves or sunk all the way the to bottom of the lake floor. His body lifeless and water filling his lungs so that he couldn't breathe. She could almost feel how it happened. Water rushing into his body as he gasped for air inhaling even more water. Choking on it as his vision got blurry,  as his eyes rolled to the back, as he was drowning and praying to find an source of air before his life ended.
She didn't get to say goodbye.