four

"I don't like it here..." Scarlett mumbled as she wrapped a small ripped blanket around her.

"I don't either Scar but it needs to be done." Harry sulked next to her, pulling her small shivering body into his.

"We didn't need to move, you made us leave. I was happy there." Scarlett didn't want to feel anger towards her brother, he was the only family she had.

"We did sweet, those bad men were after us." Harry began his story, only to be interrupted by the younger girl.

"I'm not a child anymore Haz. I get that there's 'bad men' but who are they? What do they want? We haven't done anything. Why are we punished? I want to explore bro, I want to see the sun and dance in fields." Scarlett's face lit up as she spoke about the outside world like it was a mystical place. All she knew of it was pictures and what she read in books.

"Okay, I'll tell you." Harry sighed, knowing this day was around the corner. "When mum and dad... passed, we had nothing. I tried everything I could to keep you safe. We moved away from our beautiful home into an abandoned block of flats. It wasn't ideal but I couldn't afford to keep us living there. You were young, too young to even remember what happened but I had to borrow money off some horrible men. I knew I wouldn't be able to pay them back but I lied. They're after us Scar, they want to take you away from me." Tears filled his eyes as he poured his heart out. Scarlett just watched, unsure what to say. "That's why I've taught you everything. Self defence, safety and how to hide in plain sight. They've threatened to take you away from me and do the unimaginable. I need you safe Scar, you're my sister!"

Scarlett held Harry tight as his sobs softened. She knew now she had to be strong, he had protected her throughout her life now she had to return the favour. Harry was all Scarlett ever had and she wasn't losing him without a fight.