Grace-Chapter 17

"So you mean to tell me that not only did you wreck a beautiful, and might I add very expensive, car," Will began, pacing up and down in front of Isaac and Grace as they sat in his office like two kids who had just been sent to the principal's office. His voice sounded like he was trying not to shout as he continued, "But somehow Wilmer's plan has been accelerated and now we have less than twenty-four hours to stop him? Did I miss something here?"

Isaac leaned over to her and muttered under his breath, "Nope, that about sums it up."

Grace stifled a giggle behind her hand. The situation was so serious, but somehow Isaac made her feel like it was just a little bit more manageable.

"It's not funny!" Will snapped, rounding on them both. The contrast between Isaac and Will was so strong, it just made Grace laugh harder.

"Hundreds, if not thousands, of people could die if we don't fix this," Will continued, glaring at them. "Is that funny to you?"

Isaac's jaw clenched, his gaze sharpening until his eyes were like two chips of ice. "Nothing has ever been less funny to me, Will. But let's face it, your way of getting things done by getting all riled up doesn't work for me. I need to do this my way."

Grace glanced at him fearfully. Isaac had almost died today—was he well enough to complete this mission? She was about to say something, but she could already tell from the set of his jaw that her attempts to stop him would be useless.

"We already know the locations where the bombs will be placed," Isaac continued staring down Will. "We just have to catch the remaining operatives."

Rolling his eyes, Will said, "And what happens if they move the devices?"

"They won't," Isaac said evenly. "This is what you sent me in for, Will. I pretended to be one of Wilmer's monsters for seven months so we would be ready for them. Wilmer won't move them because he's going for as many government officials as possible."

Will still looked doubtful and so Isaac said, "Trust me, I didn't spend this long on this mission to see it all go to hell now."

Shaking his head, Will finally laughed. "You are the craziest man I've ever met, Cooper. Fine—we'll do this your way."

Isaac nodded. "I need a map, some coffee, and chocolate, stat. We're in for a long night."

Will left the room, leaving Grace and Isaac alone together. She stood up and raised her eyebrows at him, a smile playing over her lips. "Chocolate?"

"Yeah," Isaac chuckled, standing up with her. "I thought I'd pay you back for all those pieces I ate at your apartment."

Grace giggled, sliding her arms around his waist. "You don't have to do that."

"I know," Isaac replied with a teasing smile. "I want to."

She gazed up into his eyes for several long seconds, memorizing every detail of his handsome features. She was so close, she could see the darker blue flecks in his eyes and the deep grey ring around his iris. He smiled at her, his eyes crinkling at the corners. She liked those little laugh lines around his eyes, they made her remember he wasn't always a spy. He was someone that made her feel like she was the most important person in the world.

Isaac brushed her hair back from her face, trailing his thumb down her cheek. Her pulse quickened at his nearness, butterflies erupting in her stomach. His lips were a hair's breadth away from hers when Will returned with coffee and a map in tow.

"What do you think you're doing?" he demanded, setting the coffee down on the desk indignantly. Isaac dipped his head, laughing quietly.

"Nothing at all, boss," he replied, backing away from Grace but tipping her a wink when Will turned his back. "Nothing at all."