Isaac-Chapter 16

With what seemed like just a short five minutes of racing out of the garage and weaving through the wintry streets trying to dodge both of the cars that had followed them and tried to shoot at them in the process, their backup finally came.

A black car swerved out right behind Isaac and Grace, giving them the chance to escape. In the rearview mirror, Isaac watched as the car shot out a rocket launcher, nailing one of their pursuers, but the other car managed to dodge out of the way and turn down another street.

"Great," Isaac muttered to himself as he studied the road hard in front of him. If he knew any better, the car would be coming out on top of them at any second. "Grace," he shouted over to her, all while gritting his teeth in concentration. "Get your gun ready. And when they appear, try to shoot their tires. Okay?"

Grace nodded as she cocked her gun, staring intently forward. Isaac had been looking forward too hard that he hadn't noticed the white car barrelling toward him from the side.

"Watch out!" Grace screamed, but by then it was too late. The white car clipped the back end of his car, making the car spiral out of control. Isaac did his best to take what little control of the car that he could, but he couldn't stop them from smashing into a metal guard rail, the car skidding to a stop halfway over the cliff.

"Isaac!" Grace shrieked again, the car perilously balancing back and forth between the cliffside and the road. If they made any sudden movements, they could fall to their deaths down into the freezing cold ocean water below. Oh no.

"Hold on, Gracie," Isaac said quietly as he slowly took off his seatbelt, doing his best to reorient himself. "I'm gonna try to climb to the back of the car to put more weight back there. Don't move a muscle."

The car creaked dangerously as Isaac started to move backwards, cautious foot by cautious foot. They could do this. They could get out of this. The wind certainly didn't help any. It hit the car in short wisps, causing the car to creak even more. Oh geez. One wrong move and they'd both plummet into the ocean.

Isaac's heart pounded furiously in his chest, his blood pumping in his ears as he got the car to remain steady by sitting in the back seat. "Okay, Gracie. It's your turn."

He watched as she slowly unbuckled her seat belt and cautiously made her way back toward him. He took her hand and helped her back with him before forcing the car's driver side door open. Curse this two-door sports car. Now they'd have to fit inside a small opening to get out. They could've already been out by now if it wasn't for that.

Isaac helped Grace out of the small opening first, and she had no choice but to hold onto the cliffside as she waited for him to climb out too. And that's when he saw the only thing that kept the car from falling over the side. The back of the wheel got jammed inside the guard rail. Oh boy, he needed to get out.

His eyes widened as the white car came racing toward them with an all too eager expression from the driver. The driver abandoned the car last second, rolling out onto the street, but the car still came with full force toward him.

Very quickly, Isaac jumped towards the cliff seconds before the other car barrelled into theirs, dislodging the wheel from the railing and plummeting toward the ocean. Isaac's hands slipped on the rocky edge, and he fell another ten feet and landed with a hard impact onto his back on a small ledge, lying there for a moment as he saw black dots skirting around his vision.

"Isaac!" Grace shouted, looking down at him fearfully. "Isaac! Tell me you're okay. Please tell me you're okay."

Using all of his strength, he tried to get up, but his head only managed to spin more, and he fell back against the hard, rocky ledge. Something felt wrong. Something felt definitely wrong. Through his bleary vision, he saw a head poke out over the cliffside, and if he wasn't mistaken, he could see a grin spread across the man's face as he pulled out a weapon. Isaac had never felt so defenseless.