Chapter 22. | Pancakes and heartbeats

The next few days were not easy for Harley. J couldn't get if she was shocked, depressed, tired, angry, scared or all those feelings at once. She spent most of the time in bed, sleeping or staring at the wall in silence.

Joker would lay next to his fragile girl, holding her close as he listened to her whimpers if she had a nightmare, which was happening really often; he would spent mornings and afternoons reading to her, trying to pull out his best jokes, make her laugh, but the clown had been unsuccessful. A clown who couldn't make his own girl laugh.

Harley was refusing to leave the bed and she wasn't speaking more than three words to J, and he was being exceptionally patient for her, after all his harlequin had gone through. Daemon's second aggression and Alfred being delicate at the hospital had Harley in a terrible mental state, and not even J was able to get into her mind like he usually could.

A week had passed, and one morning he was caught off guard when he woke up to an empty and cold space next to him on the bed. He jumped out of it and looked around the room but Harley was nowhere to be seen.

He was just about to panic when a sound coming from the first floor where the kitchen was brought some relief to his chest.

"Oh, shit! Not again!" he heard her voice as he approached the kitchen entrance and J smiled warmly to himself when he saw Harley move the pan away from the fire, the apparent fourth pancake she tried to cook totally burned.

The clown knew perfectly well she was skilled at preparing coffee, sandwiches and cereal, she was also an expert in asking their henchmen to order pizza, sushi and chinese. But she was definitely not the best in anything else involving a pan and fire.

Harley crossed her arms and frowned miserably at the pile of black pancakes. There she was, a former lethal psycho killer, pregnant and totally clumsy in the culinary arts. She was probably going to starve her husband and child to death.

"What are you doing, looney toon?" said Joker tenderly as he approached her and wrapped his strong arms around her waist, his hands moving in small circles against her stomach.

"I was just trying to make myself useful." she said, a bitter tone in her voice which made Joker grimace with concern. He buried his face on her neck, breathing in her scent, trying hard to bring some comfort as he kissed Harley's shoulder.

"You adorable clumsy pixie." he said teasingly as he picked her up and placed on the kitchen counter. Harley watched sadly as the clown picked up the bowl and fixed the batter, poured some of it expertly over the pan and in minutes, he had managed to make a perfect pile of fluffy pancakes.

"Open up, baby girl." he whispered as he brought a small chunk to Harley's mouth but she turned away, pursing her lips, eyes filled with tears which didn't go unnoticed by J.

He sighed and cupped Harley's face with his hand, forcing her to look at him though her eyes remained fixed on her lap, her expression filled with embarrassment.

"Harley," said J sternly, his eyes desperately searching hers until she finally gave in, "you can't lock yourself up from me. I know you're not feeling well but I'm trying here. I'm really trying so hard for you to be fine. This isolation isn't good for you or Lucy."

Harley's sadness was immediately replaced by anger, tears running down her cheeks furiously. "I'm glad you finally realize I'm not good for this baby!"