Chapter 12. | The Godfather

"I think I'm pregnant." the words left Harley's mouth before she could stop them.

Joker's hypnotizing blue eyes widened a fraction and his lips parted. Harley could feel her heart beating so fast and so loudly, afraid it would explode; she was terrified of his reaction and knew the clown would be furious. She wasn't happy with the idea, why would he feel any different? However, what happened next shocked her even more: his eyes went down to her tummy and then a brilliant bright wide grin stretched across his red lips.

"You are carrying my baby!" his voice rising an octave in pure joy and Harley sighed, not with relief, but with pure frustration. She could deal with his rage, but this?

"Puddin, I'm not sure yet. But even if I'm right, we can't have it." Harley broke the smile on Joker's face and he frowned, his eyes filled with confusion and rage but she managed to ignore it. "Listen, we can't be parents, that's a crazy idea even for us and besides, it's not the right time, I can't do anything on my own, my legs... How can I possibly take care of a child?"

Joker's hand immediately went to her stomach, as if protecting the baby from it's own mother. "We are having this baby no matter what happens. You hear me, Harley?" His voice was stern and filled with fury, it sent a shiver down Harley's spine. "No one is going to hurt my heir."

"B-but... Puddin,'" she tried to smile at the words that left Joker's mouth but couldn't. "It's not right for us. It was just a silly mistake. We don't need a bab-"

"Shh... There is no place for discussion." he placed his finger on Harley's lips, silencing her. She just groaned in defeat, her shoulders slumbing as she looked down at her belly, unconsciously placing her hand on top of his. Not even in her wildest dreams she could have imagined the most evil man in Gotham would be looking down at her stomach with intrigue and a goofy smile on his face. Joker's head moved closer to her tummy, placing his ear on it as if trying to listen for anything and Harley bit her lip at that cute action, trying not to smile.

"It's begging me to not kill it: 'Please don't kill me! I want to cause mischief and chaos with daddy!'" Joker sang in a childish voice, almost taunting Harley which made her whole body stiffen at what he said, filling her with dread at the thought of killing their own baby. "It's calling for its mommy. It's beautiful and perfect mommy." He said and she could only close her eyes, still reluctant to this idea. "Now I have two babies." Joker said, leaning forward and placing a kiss on her stomach before moving to her lips, kissing her tenderly.

There was a knock on the door and Joker pulled away, turning slowly to find Alfred standing outside the room, as awkward as always, "Master Bruce is waiting for you, sir." he said, an unsual kind smile on his lips.

J nodded and smirked down at Harley who had a face of anguish, "Put a smile on that face, kiddo." he pouted and as he left the room silently, Alfred eyes met Harley's, with a puzzled look on his face as he caught a tear falling on her cheek, but she brushed it away almost instantly.

"Alfie?" she said, her voice almost a whisper, sounding like a little girl hiding a secret from her parents, "I need a favor."

♠︎ ♣︎ ♥︎ ♦︎

"What? Aren't you going to fight or protest today, Joker?" Bruce asked, not even bothering on looking up from his weapons as he finished putting on the batsuit. He had decided to go out and guard over Gotham streets, which had been quiet and calm since Daemon's appearance and Bruce was getting the feeling a war was about to start, the calm before the storm. The millionaire asked the Joker to take him to his main hideouts and the clown didn't refuse, he had actually acceded with ease without arguing and smiled dumbly at his demands, as if he was under a spell that made him act even crazier than usual.