Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, it does. So you don't mind?"

"Not at all. In fact, I'd be very happy. Just something small; only close family and friends. That's what I'm thinking..."

"Yeah..."

It hits me that the only person from my life will be Beth. I won't have any family and no friends that didn't have a connection to Eli before I met him. This thought makes a terrible sadness flow over me. Eli must sense a change in my demeanor, because he asks, "What's wrong?"

I shake my head and take in a shaky breath, "I just wish my parents were here."

He places a kiss in my hair and whispers, "They are. You might not be able to see them, but they're here. They're watching and I know they'd be very proud of you."

"You think so?"

His voice is calm and confident when he whispers in my ear, "I know so. They would love you no matter what and if I'm very proud of you, then they'd only be more so. It's in the parent contract, trust me."

He sends me a wink and a smile which, along with his words, makes me chuckle slightly.

Then I turn serious and say, "I do, you know? Trust you I mean."

"I know, baby, I know. I'm honored that you do..."

Connie interrupts our private conversation by asking who would like dessert. Thankfully, no one seems to notice or care that Eli and I were ignoring everyone to have our own dialogue. We both try to concentrate on what else is happening at the table, which is easier for Eli, I guess. He's so good at focusing and blocking out things he doesn't want or need to think about. I find myself wishing, again, that I was more like him. I try to imagine what life would be like if I was more focused and less scared. I can't actually picture it.

After dinner, Eli and I help clean up. Everyone else is in the living room, while we help Connie in the kitchen. She puts the leftover food in containers and Eli and I work on the dishes. We're working in a comfortable silence, pretty much like we'd become accustomed to when we were living here.

The door swings open and I have a moment of apprehension before I see Don in the doorway. I feel the tenseness in my body drop slightly, knowing it's only Don.

Don smiles at me and asks, "How are you doing, Dani?"

"Fine, sir. Thank you. How are you?"

"Good. That dog of your's is pretty great, isn't he?"

"Oh, yes. He definitely is."

Scar is planted firmly at my feet, watching my every move and keeping an eye on our surroundings. He's very quickly come to see me as his handler and I love him dearly. I don't know if dogs can love us in the same way, but I like to think he loves me too.

Eli says, "Ma, Pops, while you're both here, we have something we'd like to ask you."

Connie seems worried when she questions, "Is everything ok?"

"Oh, yes. Dani and I were wondering if you'd allow us to have the wedding ceremony here, in the garden. We haven't talked about a date yet, but we wondered if you'd let us have it here..."

Connie lets out a little squeal and she smiles so brightly at the pair of us.

"Of course! I'm so happy you'd ask us. I think it would be perfect! Won't it, Don?"

"Definitely. I think it's very fitting. We feel privileged you feel safe and relaxed enough to ask us."

I send them both a little smile and say, "Thank you for letting us do this. I am so grateful for everything you both have done, but especially for accepting me into your family."