Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

Ash leaves at 1am, promising to check in later on. I grab a quick shower before heading into Dani's room. When I'm ready for bed, I stand at the end of her bed just watching her. Thankfully she's quiet at the moment. I'm having an internal battle on whether I should take the chair or the bed. I wrestle with the idea for a little while and then I just decide to take the bed. It might be the last time I'll get to do this and after last night, sharing a bed with Dani is something I've quickly learned to enjoy. How that's even possible, I do not know. But after one night my body has become accustomed to having her next to me. I tell myself it's just because I need to know she's ok, but it's not a very convincing argument, even to me. Since when did I get so emotional? I'm a freakin' Ranger, Special Ops and everything. My Army CO would have a cow at the emotional mess I've become.

I let out a deep breath as I tuck Dani against my side. I hear her whimper and tense up, but she doesn't back off like she did earlier. I barely close my eyes before sleep takes ahold of me.

END of Eli's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel my body jump and tense up and a scream is begging to be released from my mouth, but I feel too groggy and lethargic. My head is pounding and I feel like a lead weight is sitting on me. I open my eyes a crack and the light is far too bright so I quickly shut them again. I haven't felt this awful since I was drugged in that horrible place. That starts a panic in me and I grapple with my senses and my body to make myself wake up. I'm fighting through the lethargy when I'm certain there's an actual weight on my side, like I'm being pinned down. I don't like being restrained and I fight to get loose, but I'm not awake enough and the weight is far too heavy for me to move. There's tears stinging my eyes and I feel totally helpless. I have no idea where I am or what's going on, which only adds to my panic. I try to increase my alertness and struggle against the weight again. Just as I feel my panic rising, I hear myself repeating the word 'no' over and over again as I struggle. When I think I'm going to completely lose it, the weight moves, rather quickly I might add. I scoot as far away as I can, falling onto the floor in the process.

Through the pain and my groggy state, I hear a voice say, “Dang it! Dani, I'm soooo sorry. Baby, are you ok?”

My breathing is off the chart and out of the corner of my eye I see a pair of socked feet enter my line of vision. I nearly scream, “No! Don't touch me! Go away!”

“Dani? It's me. It's Eli...”

“NO!! GO AWAY!!”

“You need to calm down, sweetheart. I'm going to move away, but I'm not leaving the room. I'm not leaving you in this state. You need to calm down, Dani. I'm not going to touch you or go near you, but you need to listen to my voice.”

I hear my pathetic voice pleading, “Please... Just leave me... Please....”

“I'm sorry baby, I can't do that. I need to make sure you're ok. I need you to listen to me. Just concentrate on your breathing right now...”

I know that voice; I'm sure I do. But my brain is completely fogged up and I can't even see straight right now. He was on the bed? He was on the bed?! What happened?! What day is it? Where am I? I have no idea what's going on or even where I am. I take a quick glance at my surroundings, making sure I don't look at the source of my panic. I'm at home, thank goodness for that. At least I'm not back there again. I feel my fingers start to tingle and I fight with myself to stay conscious. I count out loud and I hear the vaguely familiar voice say, “That's it, baby. Count your breaths. That's it. Just calm down.”