Chapter Seventy-One

Chapter Seventy-One

Eli

It's been two months since Dani was rushed into hospital. The doctors are quite pleased with her progress and they're going to try to bring her out of the medically induced coma. I've taken the day off work, because I want to be here. I also want to help Dani if she freaks out. She might not be able to panic, seeing as she's on a multitude of drugs, but I want to be here just in case. Dr. Stone thinks it'll take a couple of hours before Dani will be fully aware of her surroundings, providing her brain can function properly. This is when we determine if there is any brain damage. I am concerned about this and I can't even begin to stress how much I am hoping there are no lasting effects on her brain. I can't put this desperation into words, so I'm not even going to try.

Dr. Stone and my pops are at Dani's bedside, explaining that they will stop certain drugs and administer others, to start the process of waking Dani up. I sit for hours, waiting and watching for any hint that she's stirring. For the longest time there's been nothing; it's been longer than the 'couple of hours' Dr. Stone advised. Just when I'm starting to give up hope and resigning myself to the fact that Dani might actually be permanently damaged, there's a spike in her heart rate. At first I think I'm imagining it, because it's only a slight spike and only for a second or two. But then it happens again for a little bit longer. I wait, frowning, not knowing if this is a normal situation, or if Dani is actually becoming aware of her surroundings. When the increased heart rate becomes constant, I press the alert button, scared that Dani will hurt herself by panicking.

While I'm waiting for Dr. Stone, I say, “Dani? Baby, if you can hear me, I need you to keep calm. It's Eli, sweetheart. I need you to listen to my voice and try to stay calm. I know you're scared and I know you have no idea what's going on or where you are, but I need you to trust me. Just trust me for a minute. Just concentrate on my voice, baby...”

As I am talking, my pops and Dr. Stone appear in the doorway. When they see the numbers on Dani's heart monitor, they rush into the room and are at her bedside.

Dr. Stone says, “Dani? If you can hear me, I need you to listen carefully. My name is Dr. Stone. You have a breathing tube in your throat and I need to remove it. If you can hear me, I need you to give me a sign. Can you wriggle your fingers for me?”

We watch and wait; it feels like a lifetime passes, but in reality it's probably a few minutes. Eventually, we see Dani's fingers move, but I don't miss the tears that spill from her closed eyelids.

“Doc, she's scared. Let me talk to her.... Baby? It's me. It's ok; you're ok. You're safe. It's just me, my pops and Dr. Stone here. You're safe now. I'm going to hold your hand, ok? Just listen to the doctor. I'm right here and I won't let anyone hurt you. Just do what the doctor says and then you can see me again. Ok?”

I take Dani's hand and then I feel her squeeze a little. My Dani is back! She's back! She might not be whole or completely healed, but she's back with me. She can hear me and respond in some way. A lone tear slips down my cheek. I don't know how to express everything that is inside of me.

“Dani? I need to remove the tube, so I need you to try to relax. It will probably make you gag and cough, but that's ok. It's only natural. Just try to relax and hold onto Eli's hand. It won't take me long to remove the tube.”

Dr. Stone wasn't wrong; the gagging and coughing sounds awful as he removes the tube, but it doesn't take long. Dani's grip on my hand tightens through the process and then it seems like the pains subsides because her grip loosens again.

Dr. Stone continues, “Dani? Are you able to open your eyes? I need to check you over, but I'd prefer it if you had your eyes open. I'm sure it will make it less daunting for you if you can actually see what I'm doing... I'm going to dim the lights, so it's not such a shock to you... Whenever you feel ready to open your eyes, go ahead...”