Chapter One Hundred Seven

Dani

I can see Eli wondering about the way I am with Arrow. I can't explain it, but I feel more comfortable with Arrow than most people. Of course it's not like being with Eli, but I don't worry Arrow is going to hurt me as much as I normally would. Maybe because he did such an amazing thing for me, or maybe it's because I am trusting a bit more. Whatever the reason, I know I can't tell Eli exactly what Arrow did for me, for us. He'll feel obligated to report it and then we'll all be in serious trouble. Arrow would probably go to jail, for protecting me. I can't let that happen. No matter how hard keeping this secret will be.

When Arrow leaves, I help clear up after dinner while Eli does some training with his dad. They're still in the gym room when everything is cleaned away, so I go to the shower. I'm starting on a new book when Eli walks into the bedroom, sweat all over his t shirt, which he quickly pulls over his head. I watch him out the corner of my eye, stunned momentarily. The sight of him shirtless still makes me feel weird. I don't know if it's fear, being uncomfortable or what, but it's an odd feeling. I don't think I'm worried he's going to try anything. To be honest, if he'd wanted to do that, he could have tried a long time ago. He didn't and he hasn't put any pressure on me, so I don't think he'll hurt me. I still have my memories and the sight of naked men fills my stomach with dread. While my conscious mind knows Eli isn't going to try anything, my subconscious isn't quite so sure. That's the part of me that will always be frightened something is going to happen. That part of my mind will always expect the worst to happen. It's not like an irrational fear, where you worry the most crazy things happen to you. I've already lived everything my mind is conjuring up, so to me it isn't so far fetched to wait for something to go horribly wrong again.

I'm so lost in my thoughts, that I don't notice Eli until the bed dips under his weight. I gasp and jump to the other side of the bed. Eli quickly stands up again and raises his hands in the universal surrender sign.

"Dani? Baby? What's wrong?"

I try to still my racing heart before I whisper, "I didn't know you were right there. Sorry."

"No need to apologize. You didn't hear me get in the shower?"

I shake my head sheepishly, feeling my face heat up with embarrassment.

"I thought you heard me, sorry baby. You ok now?"

"Yes sir."

I move into the middle of the bed again and Eli lays down on his side of the bed.

"You still reading that?"

I close the book and place it on the night stand.

"No."

"Want to talk?"

"Ok."

He lifts his arm and I tuck myself against him. I never, ever thought I'd be able to do such a thing. I honestly never believed I would be comfortable enough in someone's presence to be able to get close enough to touch them, let alone hug them or sleep in the same bed as them. The sudden need to thank Eli overwhelms me again. I forget myself for a moment and place a quick kiss on his chest and whisper, "Thank you."

I feel his voice on the side of my face, as it rests on his chest again.

"For what?"

I can almost see the confused look on his face and it makes me want to chuckle. That look is very endearing.