4 : forced friendship

the girls of camp gemini made three single filed lines as the marched behind the troublemaker twins, the camp counsellors leading this procession at the front

the girls of camp gemini made three single filed lines as the marched behind the troublemaker twins, the camp counsellors leading this procession at the front. Hope nervously bit the inside of her cheek, dragging her bag along, whilst Callie dragged hers begrudgingly, obviously annoyed; the two perfectly imitating their respective mothers. the group walked deeper into the woods, coming to a firm halt in front of a set of windy stone steps which led up to a small, lonely wooden cabin that sat isolated from the others.

"okay girls." Sarah yelled into the megaphone, alerting the fellow campers. "the rest of you, back to your activities!" a chorus of cheers of joy echoed as each girl ran off to their individual activities. "you two." she snarled at the twins who exchanged death glares with one another. "the isolation cabin." Darby smirked to herself after her friend had finished before exaggerating the point towards the fragile cabin. Callie rolled her eyes as Hope sighed in defeat, the two trekking up the stairs.

__________________________________________________

there were 6 weeks left of camp, in which the two twins shared a cabin, had to eat together, do activities together and be around each other 24/7. the two decided when not under the watchful eyes of the counsellors to be as far from the other as possible, this being the only way they'd get along. the distance, however, could only be stretched so far; one night the light in the cabin remained switched on, Callie doodled in her notebook whilst Hope shit her eyes firmly in an attempt to sleep. she sighed, unable to do so, and sat up, turning off the light. Callie hugged in annoyance and turned it back on, the other turned it off, and so and endless night of light flickering.

on a rainy afternoon the girls were shut indoors. Callie was hanging up some picture on her wall and around her bed as she hummed to light music from her iPod, not caring if the other girl didn't like the song or wanted to sit in silence, whilst Hope was writing a letter home to her mother whilst drawing a comical doodle of a cat in purple felt-tip. a sudden gust of wind blew inside the cabin through the open window, throwing the pictures Callie was hanging up on her wall across the floor. Callie gasped in shock and frustration running towards the window, attempting to shut it. Hope leapt up from where she sat and ran over to help the other girl. she scrambled on top of her bed and began to push the window.

"i think it's stuck!" Callie cursed, frustrated, both giving it a final heave, the window shutting satisfyingly. they sighed in relief before making eye contact briefly, smiling and giggling alongside each other. "thanks." callie smiled warmly at the girl as she sat on her knees, placing her hand on her bed gently.

"you're welcome." the other smiled, patting the other girl's hand softly. Callie then climbed off the bed after letting out a frustrated sigh at the sight of her ruined photos, Hope following suit. the two sat on the floor, gathering her photos in a pile. "any of your photos ruined?" Hope asked carefully, handing a few of the scattered polaroids to the other.