prologue

"they're going to marry each other!" - Auggie Matthews [Girl Meets Mr

"they're going to marry each other!" - Auggie Matthews [Girl Meets Mr. Squirrels]

"Maya, do you think we will last forever?" 8 year old riley matthews rolled over in her bed to face her best friend.
"no doubt about it riles." maya smiled, reaching out and holding riley's hand.
"how do you know?"
"because i love you riley, and you love me."
"i do, forever?"
"and ever." she squeezed her friend's hand and their eyelids fell shut.

"why don't you what me going out with Lucas, Maya?" 13 year old riley matthews glared at her best friend who sat at the bay window, clutching her knees to her chest.
"i don't want him to hurt you riles..." maya lied through gritted teeth. "and i don't want him to get between us." she insisted, but riley saw right through her.
"you're lying." she snapped, the girl sighed, combing her long brown hair back. "he could never get between us peaches." maya smiled as the brunette knelt before her, holding her small, cold hands between her warm ones. "we're forever, you're my best friend, my sister, please tell me what this really is about."
"go out with Lucas, Riley." Maya smiled, ignoring the tear that threatened to roll down her cheek. "if he makes you happy."
"thanks for understanding." Riley smiled, hugging her best friend tightly.
"forever?" maya whispered into riley's shoulder.
"and ever." riley finished, clinging on to her best friend.

"you deserve better." 18 year old Maya Hart reassured Riley Matthews as she wiped away the last of her broken hearted tears. "he's done this so many times riles, you should've ended it a while ago."
"maya?" riley asked as she cried into her shoulder.
"what is it?"
"i broke up with him." riley explained as she let go, sitting back against her bay window seat.
"what, why?" Maya questioned, edging closer to her. "did he cheat? what did Charlie do?"
"he didn't do anything." Riley explained looking at her friend, teary eyed. "I realised i'm in love with you."
"riles-"
"i know maya, i know you'll never feel the same, its stupid-"
"it is not riley amy matthews." Maya snapped. "i've been in love with you since we were 10 years old and i always knew you never felt the same. what you just said is probably the most wonderful thing i'll ever hear."
"really?"
"i love you." Maya smiled before her friend tenderly kissed her. they'd kissed before but those were dares at sleepovers and joking pecks on the cheek but this kiss was the beginning of a whole new chain of events.
"promise me that this is forever, us, thunder and lightning." riley spoke as she leaned her forehead against maya's. "forever?"
"and ever." maya finished.

"will you, Riley Matthews, marry me?"
"yes!"

"i'm pregnant."

"maya no. you can't prevent me from living my life whether it's with or without you! I can't stand here and keep this happy facade going." 21 year old Riley sobbed as she threw her clothes into her bag.
"riley, we can work this out." Maya begged, grabbing her wrist. "i can't loose you Riley."
"well you already have!" riley screamed, yanking her wrist away and closing the bag.
"i can't live without you. so i need to know if you can't!" maya cried, tears spilling down her face.
"i'm sorry maya." riley whispered.
"we said this would be forever."
"nothing lasts forever maya."
"you were the one who was supposed to have hope."
"i do have hope." riley explained. "but no longer in us."