The Journey Ahead (Kili)

"I can't believe you're actually naming it, Bofur." I say walking in step with him as he brings a large bowl of stew to the dragon "Do you even have a name yet?" Bofur stops.

"I'm naming her Nightmare." He declares, "And I'm telling her too." I nod, I can't feel any affection at all towards dragons. But Bofur always has love enough in his heart for the whole world. Bofur starts walking again and I join him.

"Are you going to raise it?" I ask, curious. Even I know that even just one good dragon would make Middle-Earth a much better place.

"Me? Raise a dragon? Heavens no, Kili." I must look confused because he follows up with a "We're sending ole' Nightmare to Thranduil, Thranduil will raise him to be a good and loving creature. Tywien already checked with him." Is that so?

"I'm sorry when did we discuss this plan?" I fume, Bofur looks confused.

"Sorry, Kili...We thought you were listening down at woodsman's creek." Oh. The sudden heat and rotten cheese smell fill the air.

"Hello!?" Nightmare tries to whisper, worried it might be more hunters.

"S'just us!" Bofur calls "We brought you some food too." The ground shakes a little as Nighty travels the short distance to us.

"Food? Like mutton and meat?" 

"What else?" I break in "What else would we put in a stew?" Nighty swivels her head so she's facing me I can smell everything far too well.

"Please be kind." It's no question... It's request, her starry eyes stare into mine and I see her intent. I nod, almost against my will.

"Right then" Bofur hops down his perch in a tree and pats Nighty's scaly muzzle.

"Call upon me." She throws her voice into the wind as she prepares for takeoff "Should you ever need any help."

"Oh, we will." I smile.