1: The White Book

Hinami's POV

"Good morning, my name is Hinami Shoya. Please to meet you all."

The entire class stared at me as I introduced myself. They took a few moments to look among themselves and exchanged some mean looking glance.

"Oii, Hinami Shoya-chan, right?" a boy called from one of the side seats. "Don't you think the name 'Chibi-chan' suits you better?" The entire class laughed.

I gasped with shocked and anger and replied "T-That's not very nice of you! I-I may be short but I---"

"Right, right? I think it is starting to have a nice ring to it," another boy interrupted from the back. "Hinami-chan, you don't mind right?"

"I bet she is not even in the 120 cm range," a girl said. "Right, Chibi-chan?" The class was filled with laughter again.

"N-no! I am actually---"

"My my, Ria-san. You're too mean," a beautiful girl in the middle said. However, once she continued, her words are not pretty at all. "You're giving her too much hope. I bet she's not even in the 80 cm range," she smirked.

Laughter. And more laughter.

I look to my side at where my teacher stood and I saw it. He's on the verge of laughter but held his tongue. Laughing at his students is something that can damage his reputation as a teacher. 

"Hey, Chibi-chan, are you sure you're supposed to be in high school? You didn't skip grades, did you?"

Another mean question followed by a group of laughter.

"Chibi-chan, did you checked what's wrong with your doctor? It might be a disability."

Another one.

"Hey hey, Chibi-chan. Do you think you can be my little sister? I really want a baby sister."

And another...

~~~~~~~~~~

These nightmares keep repeating that I had gotten numb to it. Slowly, I opened my eyes and stop that memory.

Ever since I was young, I was teased and picked on by my friends and classmates for being short. As a 16 year old high-school girl, I am only a 120 cm tall. It's way below the average height for a girl in my school.

Even my younger brother is taller than me. He's 12 years old and he's already 140 cm tall!

Well, there's no helping it. Both of my parents are pretty short, I must have inherited both of their genes. And my younger brother got his height from my grandfather. My grandfather is super tall FYI.

"The dark side of genetics," I thought to myself. "Why can't I just be a bit more taller?"

I got up from my bed to get ready for school. I washed up, changed into my uniform, picked up one of my favourite manga and school bag and immediately went down to get my breakfast. All of these in just a mere 4 minutes. I have always been fast when I do my things. I guess being small helps you to be able to do things faster. Or maybe I'm just very athletic.

"Good morning, Hina," my mother greeted me with a smile from the kitchen. "We're having French toast, eggs and grilled bacons today."

I gave a curious look, "Today is...fancy. What happened?" I asked. I took my seat at the opposite of my younger brother and saw him gobbling up his meal happily.

"Didn't you know, Hina?" my mother asked. "Your brother is chosen to represent his school for his basketball team. Isn't it great? Today is his first tournament. So I decided to make something a bit more special."

I chocked on my chocolate milk as I heard that news. I put down my cup and look at my younger brother, "Really, Kazuma?! You got picked?!" I asked with full  of excitement.

He nodded with a smile, "Yes, sis. I got chosen yesterday. I wanted to tell you celebrate the good news yesterday but you were already asleep when I got back from practice. So I only managed to tell Mom and Dad."

Immediately, I jumped out of my chair and ran over to hug him.

"I'm so proud of you, Kazuma!"

"Thanks, sis," he replied. "It's all thanks to you, Hina sis. Without you teaching me how to shoot, I don't think I can be as good as I am now." He smiled and scratched the back of his yellow hair. Just like him, I also have yellow hair but of course, mine is way longer than his.

"Aww, Kazuma," I squeezed him tighter.

"C-c-can you let go now s-sis?" Kazuma wheezed, "I-I can't breath..."

I laughed and let go of him. "What?" I said sarcastically and gave him a slapped at the back. "Are you that weak? A chibi sister like me can make you go out of breath. Are you sure your team picked the right person?" I smirked.

He sighed and looked sideway, "Sis..."

"Come on," I continued and slapped his back again. This can be done since he's almost the same height as me when he's sitting. "Cheer up! You know I'm just joking."

"Good Luck, Kazuma! Go make us proud! Make your sis proud!" I beamed.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hmm, Kazuma's a pro now huh," I talked to myself as I walked to school with my favourite manga opened in my hand. "Guess he has his height as an advantage too. I could be in the basketball team too if I was taller. I wish I'm tall. You'll get a lot of advantage from being tall..."

It is true. Despite being short, I'm actually an excellent shooter and my stamina is top notch.

However, whenever I tried to enter a basketball club, they would just shoo me off and tell me to find another club suitable for my height.

My abilities and talents are all being wasted all because I'm short.

I stopped dead on my track as I saw something in front of me. I neared it and realized that it is a thick book. A pure thick white book with no signs of being used at all.

Picking it up, I tried to look for clues to see if I can find out who the owner is. That person might be a student from my school. But the book is just clear white. There's not even a title on it too.

"That's weird," I said and opened it up to look inside...

And my world turned into swirling colours.